Author Topic: LEAD FREE FISHING SINKERS TO MAKE AT HOME  (Read 5564 times)

Offline Perkons

LEAD FREE FISHING SINKERS TO MAKE AT HOME
« on: November 07, 2008, 03:27:39 PM »
Good for kids who fish, for the environment and for saving money:

http://www.perkons1.com/SANDSINKERS/Sandsinkers.html

Perkons

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
Re: LEAD FREE FISHING SINKERS TO MAKE AT HOME
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 03:41:20 PM »
Welcome Aboard Perkons (Diane),

Very cool idea but how do you hold bottom when it gets rough out there?  Some times I use 8 ounce weights and that has a hard time holding.

Good try...And welcome aboard once again.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline seanr8w

• Can't Cast..Can't Fish.. I guess I Caught a 22
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 03:42:16 PM »
Interesting . . . Might have to try one of these just for the sake of curiosity. Thanks for the post and welcome to the site!  grtn
"Last year I went fishing with Salvador Dali. He was using a dotted line. He caught every other fish....."
Steven Wright

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 04:30:13 PM »
Welcome!!

I think it is a great idea when smaller weight is needed.  It is perfect for freshwater fishing.

The problem is with larger weights in saltwater.  Sand is roughly 5-7 times less dense than lead.  That means sand weights would be 5-7 times bigger than a lead weight.  Which equates to a 8oz sand sinker the size of a cantelope.  That is pretty impractical for this type of use!

There are many lead free weights on the market, that have a much closer density to lead.  Bismuth, Tin, Copper and Iron have all been used.  The best lead free metal for weight use is Tungsten...it is almost 2x's more dense than lead, which means heavier weights at half the size!  The downfall to Tungsten is it is not a do it yourself metal.  It's melting point is much higher than lead and could not be melted in a home melting pot.  They do sell a Bismuth-Tin Alloy that melts at a lower temperature than lead, is easy to work with, is not much more expensive and is just about as dense as lead.  Which means, you can use your old lead molds and get just about the same weight as with lead.  The difference in weight lost is very minimal...they recommend you use heavier metal hardware.

Very interesting and good looking out for the children and the environment.

grtn

TT^

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 04:32:32 PM »
Nice.  Welcome to the site t^

Offline Perkons

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 01:05:05 PM »

Usually it's only 2 or three times as big as a lead sinker.  On the other hand, what's wrong with a sinker the size of a cantalope?  Besides, it's less likely to put a ding your boat when you pull it in.

Perkons

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 01:38:43 PM »
welcome
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 06:08:35 PM »

Usually it's only 2 or three times as big as a lead sinker.  On the other hand, what's wrong with a sinker the size of a cantalope?  Besides, it's less likely to put a ding your boat when you pull it in.

Perkons

I think your weights are great ideas and I will definitely give them a try with the kids in freshwater or where small weight is needed.  Thank you for sharing your invention with us!!

Believe me, I am all for lead free and environmentally and health friendly items.  I always look for lead free and lead alternatives.  However,  I use a medium power fast action 9 foot rod to cast from the surf.  If I am throwing bait, I am throwing and reeling and constantly on the move.  It is hard enough to cast the bait and a small weight while being pounded by the waves...it would be almost impossible to throw a weight twice the size of what I already use.  For the guys who bait fish on a normal basis and are throwing 8oz weights, this weight would be unmanageable for me to use!!  I am sure there are regular surfcasters, who are also excellent casters and could manage this easily.  Basically, if I had to do this, I would just stay home!  I fish because it is enjoyable...when it becomes annoying or no longer fun, it is not worth it for me to fish.  That is what my job is for...being enjoyable, but annoying at times and days where it is not fun ;D.

TT^

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 06:14:47 PM »
OK why can't I get the link to work ???
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 06:24:08 PM »
I couldn't get that one to work either.

Try this one

http://www.perkons1.com/SANDSINKERS/Sandsinkers.html

TT^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-