Author Topic: Life Jacket  (Read 7835 times)

Offline brijones1

Re: Life Jacket
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2009, 08:10:46 AM »
you don't need to wear one at all times, you just need to have 1 for every person on your boat along with a floatation throw.

Nick is right, any boat over 16ft needs one pfd per person on the boat and one throwable.  You don't have to wear one unless your under 12yrs old.  Inflatables are now approved by the uscg for people 16 and over, so It would be a good idea especially if your fishing alone at night.  
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot

Offline brijones1

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2009, 08:15:11 AM »
O, and the problem with inflatables is that they are considered type III pfds.  That means that if you do knock yourself out you will be face down in the water because they are set up for you to have to lean your head back.  Only type I and II pfds turn unconscious wearers face-up in the water
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2009, 09:48:26 AM »
For an inflatable to be considered a PFD it must be worn. If it is not being worn it is not even considered a PFD to count for any one aboard.

As far as it not turning you over if unconcious, that is correct. However, most of the PFDs carried aboard a private vessel also will not do that, and you will not even be wearing the ones that are typically carried aboard. They will be stowed away under a seat somewhere.

I do agree that the self inflatables would be the better of the two.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Maritime Matt

• Sponsor
  • Maritime Skiff 20' Pioneer Pilothouse USCG Lic
    • TASKMARINE.COM
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2009, 09:12:59 AM »
Lot's of good info said here. The belt packs worn around your waist must be slipped over your head after inflation. Keep in mind that in a panic situation, if that water is cold the shock of entering it may cause your body to react quite differently and you may not be able to pull it over your head, besides the ability to ingest some water. For myself, I would think that an auto-inflate vest would be the type I will buy and where especially when venturing out alone.
I deal with several vendor's and have lot's of options and prices on safety gear.
Let me know what your looking for in particular and I'll see if I can save you some coin.
Matt.

WWW.TASKMARINE.COM     Marine SERVICE, Parts & More

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2009, 09:27:03 AM »
Thanks for the information; very important and appreciated.Its true many keep those PVD tucked under a seat or in storage in the cabin.The self inflate one can REALLY safe your life.  t^ 

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2009, 12:42:49 PM »
Would you get an auto, manual or the Hydrostatic inflators?

Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2009, 01:24:42 PM »
An auto inflate is the way to go! t^  If, for some reason, the auto doesn't work there is a manual backup.

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2009, 01:38:31 PM »
I would use the belt pack in the warm weather as a "better than nothing" solution. And something more robust for the cold weather.

Offline blynch

• Regulator 23FS "Say When"
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2009, 08:43:15 PM »
Hey guys. Looking at buying a life jacket for myself. I will be fishing alone half the time.
As some of you know, I have a 20ft. c.c. I'm looking at a Mustang Automatic inflatable life jacket. It's small and comfortable. It's about $160.00. Does anyone know this jacket. Is it good?
I like the west marine brand inflatables.
GOT UM'
Regulator 23 "Say When"
Check out my video reprorts and other useful info on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV5WhrcFHzPsIpcTkCmksWg?feature=watch

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-