Author Topic: dead gannet  (Read 3000 times)

Offline DAK

dead gannet
« on: May 18, 2009, 10:28:45 AM »
There. This time I'm posting a true subject line. I posted this on some of the other forums under subjects like "striper blitz" and ranted and raved cause I don't really care if I get banned from them. I really like this forum, though, so I waited till I was calmed down some...

I finally got some free time this past Sat morning so I headed over to Brigantine to soak some clams and throw some plugs in the surf. It was foggy and conditions looked real good, but it was not to be because I found a Northern Gannet sitting at the water line. I got closer and saw a cloud of pink fishing line around her neck. With the help of a young couple driving by, I got her and cut the line off (some strands were so tight I could barely get my knife under it). Meanwhile I called home and had my girl start calling for animal rehab places. The only place in S Jersey that has licensing and capabilities for seabirds is the Cedar Run Rehab Center in Medford, and they said a Gannet on the beach (they live on the open water) is a bad sign, and to bring it in. About 5 min from the rehab center the bird put her head down and died. I was pissed. What a waste. And all because some fisherman was too lazy or uncaring to put his discarde line where it belongs - in the trash. I am getting sick and tired of fishing at spots that look like mini landfills, or paddling by plastic bags floating in the water. OK, I will keep it at that and won't rant like before, but we have got to try to stop this. This is the main reason local residents don't want us around.

So, I am going to start bringing a 50 gal trash bag with me every time I head out, and unfortunately I doubt that I will have any problems bringing it back full every time.
This boy is about as sharp as a sack of wet mice...

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
Re: dead gannet
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 10:39:52 AM »
Nice job with the Gannet, t^
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 11:33:11 AM »
I have to agree with you.  Many people that make their way down to the waters that I have grown up on are exactly that, pigs.  It is sad to say it buy people don't care.  I have seen it many times on IBSP where there is old chairs, old umbrellas and other garbage left behind that I always pick up.  These people are slobs. 

People Please especially if you are on IBSP and have had problems with your line and cut it PUT IT IN THE GARBAGE.  At area A6 where there air stations you will find white tubes just for that purpose.

Another thing is the plastic 6 pack holders the thing to do is to take a knife and slit all 6 circles.  Give the animals a chance it is so simple don't be stupid or lazy.

The summer is just starting please, please, be responsible and pick up after your self
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 12:34:05 PM »
Good attempt on saving the gannet.

All to often we see discards from 'sportsmen'. Remember, if you bring it in, take it out. Not a hard concept at all. Clean up after yourself and you will be welcome to return to your fishing spot. Leave a mess, and for sure, the no trespassing signs will go up.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 01:59:09 PM »
Good try with the bird!  I brought an injured baby bunny to the Cedar Run Rehab several years ago when I lived in Marlton.  They are really good there.

Unfortunately, there is always garbage left behind from fishermen.  Sometimes I spend more time cleaning up than I do fishing.  It is a shame people will destroy places that they love nosmly.

TT^

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 05:23:44 PM »
Nice try DAK..  That was a cool thing you did..

You have free Ranting Rights here TT^
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 05:31:15 PM by Hotrod »

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-