Author Topic: Rally for our Reefs!  (Read 3338 times)

Offline MS22

• Full Member of the Den
Rally for our Reefs!
« on: May 27, 2009, 02:43:04 PM »
Have you ever had your tackle snagged by fishing gear on the reefs?

Have you lost countless rigs drifting over the fish and lobster traps?

Have you ever had your anchor fouled in a pot line or watched the frustration of someone who has?

Have you had enough?

The U.S Fish and Wildlife Service says the artificial reefs were created for angling - so let’s remind Trenton in what may well be the largest rally by anglers in recent memory!

* June 26, 2009

* 6:30pm

* Clarks Landing Marina, 847 Arnold Avenue

Point Pleasant Beach, NJ 08742

* Sandwiches, beverages and reef displays

* A $20 donation is requested

Come hear experts and legislators support your cause for access to the reefs! Come, enjoy the summer evening with good food, good friends, fellow anglers and divers.

Anglers have proven that they can make a difference... so come and Rally for Our Reefs!

Organized by the Greater Point Pleasant Charter Boat Association, New Jersey Outdoor Alliance and the Mako Mania Shark Tournament Committee

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: Rally for our Reefs!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 07:53:30 PM »
 t^

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 09:51:31 PM »
Great Post, with all of the complaining going on, I'm surprised that there are not more responses. 5hrug  <'((((><
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 06:10:42 AM »
I agree with you Darren. This was posted before and I don't believe there were many responses then either.  :P
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline MS22

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 01:04:26 PM »
A lot of people feel that this is a lost cause and that the commercial lobby in Trenton is too strong.  I just want to say to those people that they are DEAD WRONG.  If rec anglers stand united, our voting block would far supercede that of the commercial fishermen....and while legislators do see dollar sign's they also count votes.  Please come out and support this bill. This rally will be the first step in sending a clear message to Trenton that we want our reefs back.

Here is a an excerpt from a letter we received from John Organ, Chief of US F&W/Sport Fish Restoration Program concering the funding of NJ reefs.

"The current approved grant objectives are consistent with the purposes of the Sport Fish Restoration Program. They are as follows.

a. To increase diversity, abundance and availability of reef-dependent species sought by recreational fishermen through creation of artificial reefs.

b. To increase the diversity abundance and availability of reef-dependent marine life that provides a forage base for important food and game species.

c. To provide increased fishing opportunity to recreational anglers and thus provide economic benefits to New Jersey's sport fishing industry.

e. To fabricate and deploy designed reef habitats.

f. To monitor reef structures to ensure compliance with permit requirements.

g. To conduct studies to assess the biological and socio-economic performance of reefs.

h. To provide the public with current information regarding all aspects of the reef program."

Here is another excerpt from the USFW letter...

"The New Jersey Division of Fish and Wildlife has the responsibility to determine what activities and related facilities to allow on Sport Fish Restoration lands to the extent that such activities do not interfere with the apporved grant objectives."

Here is a section of the letter from Dave Chanda(Director DFW) written June 3, 2008.

"Although commercial fishing on reefs is not a violation of Federal Aid to Sportfish Restoration regulations, Federal regulations(Part 80-Administrative Requirements, Federal Aid in Fish and Federal Aid in Wildlife Restoration Ats - 50 CFR 80.14) and U.S. Fish and Wildlife policy (Allowable Cmmercial Activities and Related Facilities on Federal Assitance Lands 522 FW 22) are explicit that such use cannot interfere with the puposes for which the lands are managed. In New jersey's case, reefs were created for RECREATIONAL ANGLERS and SPORT DIVERS. The Artificial Reef Management Plan for New Jersey adopted as policy in 2005, states that the objectives of the Reef program are:

1) Contstruct hard-substrate reef habitat for marine fish and invertabrates;
2) Provide Spawning, nursery, refuge and feeding area for marine life;
3) Increase diversity and abundance of marine life;
4) Create fishing ground for hook-and-line fishermen;
5) Provide underwater structures for scuba divers; and
6) Provide economic benefits to recreational fishing and dive industries

In summary, the Department is now supporting the proposed legislation in the Senate and Assembly (S-336 and A-1519). IF passed, the legislation will restrict fishing on reefs to hook-and-line and spear only at the two reef sites located in state waters( Sandy Hook and Axel Carlson)."

Offline MS22

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 11:55:04 AM »
Hope to see you Friday t^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-