Author Topic: SafeBackyards.com: Animal Rights Hucksterism?  (Read 2928 times)

Offline apmaurosr

SafeBackyards.com: Animal Rights Hucksterism?
« on: June 04, 2009, 05:10:30 PM »
SafeBackyards.com is a campaign of the animal rights movement that has been fabricated to create public angst and browbeat NJ policy makers to prevent them from enacting a sound conservation bill. The OpEd at the link found below will provide facts about the merits of the bill and also peel back a layer of pretense that may well expose an ugly truth that SafeBackyards.com is meant to conceal.

SafeBackyards.com: Animal Rights Hucksterism?

http://www.njoutdooralliance.org/animalrights/hucksterism.html

Ant
Chair
New Jersey Outdoor Alliance
Anglers, hunters, trappers, conservationists
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 05:38:59 PM by apmaurosr »

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
Re: SafeBackyards.com: Animal Rights Hucksterism?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 12:10:17 AM »
Beat me up if you must for saying this.  I am certainly not an animal rights activist, but am I the only one that thinks 150 feet is a bit close to be shooting arrows around peoples' houses?  I am far from an animal rights activist, but my children's safety comes before my right to bear weapons and my right to hunt, fish, etc...  I don't know if I would want arrows flying within 150 feet of my house or back yard.  I know that an arrow can travel 100's of yards.  I hope someone can clarify this issue for me because I do believe that the deer populations are out of control in areas where they cannot be hunted.

Thanks

TT^

Offline apmaurosr

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 10:32:14 AM »
Thanks for responding.

I think the answer can be found in the first half of the OpEd regarding safety.

A few points though: a hunter can't shoot within or toward the 150' zone (has to be facing away from the zone.) A hunter must be elevated (shooting downward at the ground) so that the arrow travels approx. 20 yards or so into the ground. Pennsylvania has used it successfully for 4 years.

However, it's hard to specifically address your concerns because of the way you've constructed your assumptions.

For example: I might claim there should be a 150 foot buffer between all cars and sidewalks. It is "insane for 2000 pound vehicles, hurtling at speeds of 40 mph, to be within feet of school age children or the elderly walking to and fro."

What if a driver loses control? What if the kid falls off the curb? What if the driver gets a "blow out" and swerves off the road? What if an elderly person trips and falls into traffic? There are a lot of "what if" scenarios that can be entertained that would provide a lot of reasons for cars not to be traveling withing feet of pedestrians.

But it is done all of the time.

There are other similar examples of dangers that we face unthinkingly every day. 

The 150' rule with downward pointing bows and arrows has a proven track record of safety. BTW - a hunter isn't going to want to hunt within 150' of an "occupied" dwelling - deer are usually not found near a lot of activity.

Ant   
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 10:50:22 AM by apmaurosr »

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 12:13:32 PM »
Thank you for answering my questions.  I do not hunt, so my limited understanding and lack of education on the subject made me question the safety of it.

Your honesty is answering the question and your reasoning makes complete sense.  Like I said, I do not hunt, but I certainly support hunting and someone's right to hunt.  I also agree with the deer population problem in this state.  Every night, we have herds of deer in our neighborhood and yards.  Something that has only happened since hunting areas were restricted in the town.

Again, thanks for answering my question and educating me on the subject.  NJOA has my support and being led by someone like you is exactly what we need.  Someone who can properly explain and reason with those not educated on this topic.  I think others, especially those who live along wooded areas and parents, may respond the same way.  They probably have preconceived ideas about the topic, just like I did and with some very direct and to the point answers, can alleviate the uneasiness!

Thanks

TT^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 01:44:50 PM »
Plus, what no one has mentioned is the fact that hunter education courses are a prerequisite for obtaining any hunting license here in NJ as well as probably every state in the Union.

Hunters are aware of the rules and the majority use common sense when out hunting.  Besides if you look at who is hunting you will find that families gather for these yearly outings.  Again all that are out hunting have taken the hunter safety course and are better citizens than those who are trying to outlaw a constitutional right to bare arms and hunt in a safe manner, at least in my mind.

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline apmaurosr

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 04:00:55 PM »
All good points - and yes, education s the key. Unfortunately, NJARA is taking advantage of the "lack of education" and trying to create public hysteria. They know that an uneducated public is ripe with opportunity for scare tactics.

Thanks
Ant

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-