Author Topic: IBSP first timer  (Read 2617 times)

Offline JackD68

• Full Member of the Den
IBSP first timer
« on: June 20, 2009, 12:17:50 PM »
 I've been really wanting to hit the Park but I've never been there and I don't own a 4x4.
Is there an area where I can park and have not such a long walk to a good fishing spot? And can I fish anywhere in the park?
 I get conflicting closing times. Does it close at 10p-5a or 12a-4a. I assume I would need a permit to stay during closed hours.

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
Re: IBSP first timer
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 01:04:06 PM »
There are plenty places to park and walk up onto the beach.  It is basically like any type of surf fishing.  You have to park in front of the dunes and then hike it up a path over the dunes.  No different than any other beach.  The area marked A10/10 is a very popular location to go up.  However, the beach is always changing so one day there could be great structure around A10 and the next day you may have to move on.  There is certainly lots of areas to fish along the 13 or so miles of beach.  It is just about the only place to fish during daytime now that the summer is here, as well.

You can fish just about anywhere, except the bathing beaches.  The park is open for fishing 24x7, as long as you are actively fishing.  There isn't any additional passes needed if you are walking onto the beach, just the regular admission fee, charged per vehicle, which is $6 weekdays and $10 weekends.  There is an additional "beach buggy" permit needed.

Good luck.  I think if you give it a try, you won't be disappointed.  The only downfalls to the Park are that it does get very crowded this time of year, especially on the weekends.  Other than that, it is a great place!

TT^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 01:56:21 PM »
Welcome Aboard JackD68,

IBSP is one of the states best surf fishing spots.  The only down fall this time of year is the amount of people that use the area and abuse it.  You are suppose to be actively fishing and well I have seen many people with a while city set up and thinking it is their own private beach.  Just so you know especially this weekend and on Fathers Day it will be elbow to elbow if the weather is nice.

Now to the access points them selves.  If you park in A7 you will have a boardwalk to the beach and some decent fishing within a very short distance from there.  One thing you will notice is that there are mini parking lots as you drive south each lot has a beach access path some longer than others but all in all not to bad.  If you want to get further down and you have the ladies with you there is a parking lot at A21 with toilet facilities open 24/7 and easy access to the beach as well.

Like P-Man mentioned the beach changes almost on a daily basis so be patient and learn how to read the beach.  There is a tutorial on the main page so I invite you to take a look and have fun.  Without knowing how to read the beach it is like going hunting with blinders on.  You can shoot all you want and sometimes you will hit something but till you actually see your quary your percentage rate will be very poor.

When you get to the park ask for a map for the park as it will show you other activities to do there as well.

Right not the bait os choice is bunker, bunker and more bunker with a fresh clam here and there.  If you see clams on the beach it is a good time to fish both as the clam beds right off shore have taken a hit by the ocean and the bass will be feeding on them instead of the bunker.

Right now it will take at least 6oz+ to hold bottom maybe more so be ready for a good swift current pulling to the north for right now.  Don't be afraid to throw into the white water right now as it is pretty churned up and the bass are scattered all over.

I hope this helps.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline JackD68

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 02:29:13 PM »
That really cleared things up, Thanks much....Will definitely give it a go.

Offline Greg7

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 06:32:14 PM »
Give it a go yet? I think I'm going july 7thish being its gonna be a full moon. gotta get my permit to drive on the beach, tired of this walking jazz, haha.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 09:42:49 AM »
Good luck Greg,

Yeah, the full moon should be a good time.  If you go try and plan on being on the beach at either dusk or dawn as that will be the best time to target the bass.  They are still feeding heavily on bunker as there have been a number of 50+ pounders caught off the beach in the last 5 days alone.  Full heads is the key.  Expensive yes, but very effective.

I would also throw out a clam as well as the wind has been out of the E and a little rough so the clam beds might have taken a hit again.

Be careful out there on the beach if you do drive and make sure you have all the required equipment.  They have been checking ans fining people that do not meet their requirements.

Happy Catching

Paul

IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-