Author Topic: input on this battery thing  (Read 2853 times)

Offline hiking

• Super Hero Member
input on this battery thing
« on: August 04, 2009, 07:45:39 AM »
  I did some searches, and I'm still confused?
 I'm ready to get new batteries and I have the duel switch. some suggest getting a starting and deep cycle battery. In that case it seems that you start on battery #1(starting) then switch to all and when you stop switch to #2 (deep cycle) is that the proper procedure?
  I have radio-fish finder-gps-salt water wash down-live well-lights at night.
  my boat is currently set up with 2 starting batteries 4 and 5 years old.
Paul cell 908-415-9542

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
Re: input on this battery thing
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 07:53:15 AM »
With the switch a deep cycle is not going to help you. If you wire everything to a deep cycle and the engine to a staring battery, that would work. Throw a pair of jumper cables on board just in case the cranking battery goes dead. If you don't want to do that then just get two of the cranking. IMO
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 11:14:24 AM »
I disagree with 2 cranking batteries.

The cranking batteries are not designed to last at repeated low amp draw over long time, ie running FF GPS radio, etc with engines off. Not saying they won't last but not designed to. This low current draw over long time is best handled by a deep cycle battery.

The starting battery is at it's best when kept fully charged, delivering hi current for short periods of time, ie starting the motor.

I say 1 of each, or 1 cranking and 1 dual purpose. That's what I run, start motor on cranking battery then switch to both when motor running, then switch to dp cycle when motor not running. In a pinch the deep cycle will start the motor but that is not what it is designed for.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 11:15:27 AM by wb »

Online IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 06:23:09 PM »
AFter just having a problem with my batteries I did a little research (and info from Capt Mike) and found this.

http://www.jerrylabella.com/ship_shape2.htm

Probably going to be my next project.

The isolator or itegrator (the one I will most likely get) seem to be the way to go.

Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline striperdad

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 06:30:17 PM »
I run 2 825 cca batteries. Always run battery switch on both when out to sea. Some isolating switches won't allow you to switch from 1 to both without doing damage to the switch. Causes a surge through the contacts. I've run starting batteries like this for 10years never a problem. Switch to battery when shut down at the dock.

Offline striperdad

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 06:33:10 PM »
What I meant about switching batteries is when the engine is running. Been up since 3am.

Offline hiking

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 07:38:18 PM »
guy's, thanks for the input so far, but I need more info (sorry I'm new) so if I get 2 cranking batteries and start off with the switch on #1 can I switch to all with the motor running? or shut down switch to all and restart?also I'm rack stored, do you switch to off on the rack??
Paul cell 908-415-9542

Online IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 07:47:49 PM »
The only time I would turn the switch is if the motor was not running, expecially to the off position. May not have a problem turning from one to all to two or whatever by why chance it. One time you may turn it to off by accident and fry your alternator.

When in rack storage, turn to off.

Also, no need to apoligize for any questions you may have. We all started out new and learned by asking.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 07:54:13 PM »
 whs Never turn the switch with the engine running.
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 12:43:08 AM »
Never turn the battery switch when the engine is running.

As WB said there is a big differance in batteries.

The Starting battery is meant to give a High voltage shot over a short period of time to start the boat. This battery recharges quickley as the lead cells in it are thin and numerous.

The Deep Cycle battery is meant to give a low voltage output over a longer period of time. This battery recharges slower as the lead cells are thicker.

I replace one battery every year, alternating between the starting and deep cycle so the battery is never more than 2 years old.

People will tell you you can get years out of them, and if properly maintained and charged you can, but I prefer to be safe rather than sorry.

You must remember that evertime you recharge a battery you those so of the bateries ability to hold a charge as the lead cells flake, over time-charges and low fluid it will severely damage a cell.

A volt meter is a must to read the batteries voltage and whether or not you are charging as you run.

I will normally run to and from my fishing grounds on 2 bateries charging both, and switch to the deep cyle while i am fishing.

Hope it helps t^

Offline dreamsfloatjoe

• Bait Cutter
  • Bait Cutter
    • Anchors Aweigh Charters, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 04:00:45 AM »
... I'm still confused?  I'm ready to get new batteries and I have the duel switch. ... I have radio-fish finder-gps-salt water wash down-live well-lights at night.  my boat is currently set up with 2 starting batteries 4 and 5 years old.
grtn hiking, looking at your avatar, it appears to me that your boat is less than 23 feet long with a 150 HP OB (maybe a 200 HP)?  Please forgive me if this is not true (bad eyes).  Buy two new Wal Mart starting batties and install them.  Keep your receipts.  Enjoy your boat with peace of mind.   chrz

Myself, at times, can complicate the hell-o out of making a grilled cheese sandwich.   rofla  I own a 21 foot WAC with a 150 HP OB, FF, GPS, saltwater and freshwater pump, VHF marine radio, AM/FM radio with CD player and a livewell, etc.  I am blessed to be able to boat/fish year round.  My two starting batteries hold up just fine.  This fall I will buy a new starting battery and replace the oldest battery first, then this winter buy another new battery and replace the next oldest battery.  I have Tow Boat US towing service coverage/insurance.  Duck and Cover.   hhppy

DreamsFloat Joe - Mate
M/V Ye Ole Pirate, Anchors Aweigh Charters, Inc.
Fernandina Beach Harbor Marina, Amelia Island, Florida  32034  USA

Offline hiking

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 11:47:02 AM »
Thanks a lot guy's. A lot of info here, I hope at some point I can contribute, I guess just fishing reports for now.  Again thanks for all the input.
Paul cell 908-415-9542

Offline Stray Cat

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 08:47:58 PM »
You might want to look at this set up. I use this on my boat. The product cost around $120 give or take.

http://bluesea.com/category/1/productline/overview/329
Mark

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-