Author Topic: Boat Tip  (Read 1752 times)

Offline fishon42

• Super Hero Member
  • Salmon On
    • Facebook
Boat Tip
« on: June 11, 2007, 09:26:54 PM »
My father has either a 10 or 12 foot bass boat that he uses for some lakes that he fishes at up here in passaic and sussex county. Will this boat be alright in the Bay, or is it to small ? I know a 14 footer would make it. Thank you.

Fish On
Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

Offline hareball

• Super Hero Member
    • waterwolves
Re: Boat Tip
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 09:38:56 PM »
what is the brand and model of the boat? some bass boats do fine in the back bay areas. really depends on the boat type though.
There is water at the bottom of the ocean- David Byrne

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 09:42:54 PM »
Also depends on the bay.  I think it may be just a bit too small for Sandy Hook Bay, but it would be suitable for nearshore portions of Raritan Bay.  Most parts of Barnegat Bay would be okay also.
Pick your days according to the weather and it is possible to take am 8 foot boat in the ocean, if you dare.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 09:45:06 PM »
it all depends on the type of boat.  Most places that rent the bay boats are only about 14' and have a 9.9 hp on them.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 10:30:14 AM »
Hi Fish On,

I believe a boat that size is fine in Barnegat Bay and the Rivers and tributaries feeding it.

Be careful though? Are the engines rated for saltwater? Most people will say yes but I destroyed a small outboard because it was not in reality. The worst is you will have to flush the engine very good and check under the cowling to make sure saltwater did not get under there. Don't let people BS you. Call you manufacturer if you have not already. If they say it is OK for brackish water, do not settle for that answer.

If so, I can help with some launching areas.

Oh, I hope you pick a spot away from channels as courtesy is dead in NJ waters. I can tell you recent stories ...

Thanks,

Ed

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-