Author Topic: Relocating to Ft Dix NJ; What and where to fish  (Read 13890 times)

Offline james.e.w

Relocating to Ft Dix NJ; What and where to fish
« on: June 11, 2007, 09:13:23 AM »
I am an avid angler. I fish mostly freshwater in PA. I am familiar with the Delaware River but would like to also fish some saltwater. I fish in Cape May but that is too far of a drive. I will be in NJ in October. Any points of interest ie back bays, surf, piers would be really helpful. I have a smaller boat that I will be bringing with me. I know Blues and striper are big during the fall but what about during the winter months. Thank you for any help you could give.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
Re: Relocating to Ft Dix NJ; What and where to fish
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 09:43:14 AM »
Welcome Aboard James,

If you like freshwater there are a number if good lakes to fish right within easy reach of Fort Dix.  The lake right there on the fort is good, as well as the lake on lakehurst Navy base.  You are very close to great fishing at Prospertown Lake by Great Adventure as well (about a 20 min drive from the fort) also check out Colliers Mills between Great adventure and the fort.

But the saltwater fishing in the area is the best.  There is Island Beach State Park for ocean surf fishing roughly 10 miles of beautiful beach and loaded with fish right now.  Just north is Seaside Park & Heights a little crowded right now but good fishing and easy access (going further north) Ortley Beach, Lavellette, and even further north Point Pleasent Beach right there by the Manesquan Inlet.

If you need directions just give a shout I am usually on here a lot and will pick up your personal message pretty quickly.

I am sure you will be inundated with info shortly if I were you I would create a seperate file for the info and dump it in there.

Good Luck and nice to have you aboard. TT^

Paul
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 09:50:26 AM by ped579 »
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Great Bay Junky

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 12:24:14 PM »
Ft Dix is only a 45 minute ride to Tuckerton/Great Bay and some good fishing.
This too shall pass.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 04:49:51 PM »
Hi James.  Welcome to the site.

I'm only a stones throw from you..  and from here. like GbJ said Tuckerton is at the end of 539 and some great fishing.

also a 35 minute ride down 195S will get you into belmar and such.  some great head boats and Charters in the location.

Keep in touch here.  there are always members looking to take guys out fishing and any given notice.

Again Welcome and Make yourself at home :)

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 05:36:44 PM »
first off, welcome to the site james,,

i live right next to ft dix, adn can tell ya  there is soem decetn freshwater fishing close by. the lakes in brownmills is actually a good lmbass factory. there is also pemberton lake, which is small with small bass in it, but still fun. abouts 45 minutes away is assunpink lake. some nice bass in there too.

what do you have as a small boat? there are no freshwater lakes in the area where you can use an outboard, and in prospertown lake you cant even use an electric motor,, oars only.
All your tuna's are belong to me

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 10:43:03 AM »
Hi James,

Welcome ...

From a fishing standpoint you are centrally located to hit great fish and salwater spots.

Get on Rt. 70 and drive a little less than an hour east and you are at Pt. Pleasant or Island Beach State Park.

There are good freshwater lakes right around you. Mike "Ike" from the professional Bass tour fishes those lakes.

If you want, you can head on Rt. 70 west for a little less than an hr. and hit the Delaware River.

Many possiblities ... just ask and we will help out!

Best wishes,

Capt. Ed

Offline james.e.w

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 01:30:31 AM »
Thank you everyone for your help. I am sure I will have a ton of questions in the future. It looks as though I will try and find a place close to Tom's River. It seems to be a fair commute and close to some fishing action. Thanks again. I am looking forward to the upcoming year.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-