Author Topic: Hatteras Fishing  (Read 6693 times)

Offline drome

Hatteras Fishing
« on: February 04, 2007, 11:11:29 AM »
Im going to be in Salvo, North Carolina first week of april.... House we are renting is right on the beach...  What's biting in April down there?  Also any references for some charter captains would be appreciated....

This may be the first vacation that has everything the kids want, and beach access (what I want) in a vacation!!!! 

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: Hatteras Fishing
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 10:24:57 PM »
Sounds like a great time.

Offline Hardcore

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 08:08:09 AM »
drome...the fishing in that area will just be getting started for the year.  The inshore fishing will probably be slow but the Yellowfin action offshore should be happening.  The offshore fishing out of Oregon Inlet is nothing short of awesome just about year round.  If you elect to fish oregon inlet I would suggest you book a trip with capt Brian White (www.waverunnercharters.com.  Brian knows the deal and he will take you out much earlier (depart the dock 3:00 - 4:00am) so that you are on the fishing grounds as it is getting light which is when the Yollowfins chew.  Most boats don't leave until 5:00 or 5:30am.  If you charter in Hatteras you can contact Odems Dock in Hatteras for charter info.   
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 10:22:04 AM by Capt. Rod »

Offline drome

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 06:40:02 PM »
Thanks for the info I will contact both places so I have my ducks in a row for april.

Offline wingshooter

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 12:03:36 AM »
good luck down there..i go to myrtle beach and fish there in the summer,,its great i take one day for a head boat fishing,,i fish every morning before the bathers come on the beach ..then we spend the day at nascar park, or the beach looking for sharks teeth,,last year the kids found over 40 of them

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 10:14:59 AM »
sharks teeth ,sounds like a good place to swim ;D

Offline wingshooter

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007, 10:32:08 AM »
they are very old teeth, and they just keep washing ashore they arent white, dont forget sharks are allways loosing their teeth and getting new ones,,,,,its all good,,

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2007, 11:32:55 AM »
Try Obsession-charters.com........... we go to the Outer Banks every May and sail with Capt Jeff, he fishes out of Pirates Cove (Oregon Inlet)......plenty of Yellow Fin and Dolphins....... ;D

April should be good for Tuna..........have fished with Jeff over ten years, he is an outstanding Capt, my friends went with him last August and they landed 7 MArlin in one day................in fact every year but one we limited out on tuna, and the dolphin action is fantastic.

Good Luck ;)

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2007, 11:18:46 AM »
drome...the fishing in that area will just be getting started for the year.  The inshore fishing will probably be slow but the Yellowfin action offshore should be happening.  The offshore fishing out of Oregon Inlet is nothing short of awesome just about year round.  If you elect to fish oregon inlet I would suggest you book a trip with capt Brian White (www.waverunnercharters.com.  Brian knows the deal and he will take you out much earlier (depart the dock 3:00 - 4:00am) so that you are on the fishing grounds as it is getting light which is when the Yollowfins chew.  Most boats don't leave until 5:00 or 5:30am.  If you charter in Hatteras you can contact Odems Dock in Hatteras for charter info.   

I'm leaving exactly 3 weeks from today to head down to North Carolia to spend 2 days of tuna fishing with Capt. White. Been anticipating this trip since I booked it several months ago.

I first met Capt. White in March 2006 at the Saltwater Expo in Somerset. Extremely nice & friendly person. So much so that he made the offer for my son and I (as well as others on the charter) to sleep aboard his 55' custom built Alex Willis Friday, Saturday and possibily Sunday (if he doesn't have a charter on Monday) nights at no additional cost.

Will post a report upon my return.

Offline drome

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2007, 08:51:47 PM »
I had to have a nail removed from atoe while down there (long story) and opted to spend time with my nephews and sons instead of going out on a charter....  Plus the reports where not too good...

BTW drive the speed limit on 12.... no matter how innocent that road looks!!!

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 07:28:31 AM »
Fishing was on the slow said on Saturday. We ended the day with 2 mahi, 1 wahoo, 1.5 yellowfin (I say 1.5 because a small mako took a nice sized chunk out of one) and a small mako (the one that ate half of the yellowfin) that the mate free gaffed behind the boat.

Sunday's trip was a complete blow out. Winds were already at 40 Knots when we awoke Sunday morning and built from there with some gusts to hurricane strength.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-