Author Topic: If you MISSED the SSFFF December 1st Meeting  (Read 2505 times)

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
If you MISSED the SSFFF December 1st Meeting
« on: December 01, 2009, 10:56:03 PM »
I will write a full report as far as the meeting went but I will let Capt Tony and Jim Hutchinson explain the rest of the details.

I will post pictures of the key individuals that spoke at the meeting and I have to say it was an eye opener.

If you want to continue to fish I would suggest attending some of the meetings to find out what really is going on.  It is our sport but it needs YOU for it to continue.

My report will be posted tomorrow.   

SAD

Happy Catching While it lasts.

Paul
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 11:13:47 PM by Hotrod »
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: If you MISSED the SSFFF December 1st Meeting
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 08:56:05 AM »
The meeting was approximately two-two and a half hours long. A lot of information was put out as to what has been done to help our sport and what needs to be done in the future to continue helping our sport.

I agree with Paul, Capt TB can explain this much better then either one of us.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 11:14:01 PM by Hotrod »
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline CaptTB

• SSFFF
  • Sponsor
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 09:07:42 AM »
I agree with Paul, Capt TB can explain this much better then either one of us.
Aww Maaannnn.... now I gotta type some more! ;D ;D

Soon as I get a chance I'll give a quick (yeah, right!) synopsis of what's going on.

Gotta work today and have to take off work tomorrow to go to Trenton to testify on the SW Registry Bill.

Later.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 11:14:12 PM by Hotrod »

Offline HutchJr

• Sponsor
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 05:37:03 PM »
Yeah, what Tony said!

Seriously, thanks to the SSFFF for all the hard work - that thanks goes to the board, the members and all those who have contributed to the success thus far.

As for the saltwater registry legislation in Trenton, if any of you are free to join us in Trenton, our friends in the Senate would love to see the physical support of the saltwater angling community tomorrow in our state capital!

NJ Senate to Hear Saltwater Registry Debate:
RFA-NJ In Trenton This Week to Testify

On Thursday, December 3 at 10 a.m., the New Jersey Senate Environment Committee will meet in Room 10 on the third floor of the State House Annex in Trenton.  At the top of the day's hearing agenda is Senate Bill 2194 sponsored by Sen. Jeff Van Drew (D-Cape May) and co-sponsored by Sen. Christopher "Kip" Bateman (R-Somerset), a bill which create a free recreational saltwater registry in New Jersey in order to comply with new federal fisheries guidelines for data collection.

As written S2194 would specifically direct the Commissioner of the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP), in consultation with the Marine Fisheries Council, to establish and implement a registry program for saltwater recreational anglers modeled on the registry program to be established by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). 

This bill specifies that the State cannot charge a fee for registration under this program, and also directs the DEP Commissioner to apply to the federal National Marine Fisheries Service for "exempted state designation" so that New Jersey's saltwater anglers do not have to participate in the national registry of saltwater anglers.

As reported in last Wednesday's Atlantic City Press, State Sen. Jeff Van Drew is rallying support for a proposal to establish a free state registry for saltwater fishermen, a bid which would keep state fishermen from having to pay federal fee in 2011.

"The people of New Jersey are being taxed and fee'd to death," Van Drew told the AC Press on November 25.  "The least we can do is give them a chance to do a little saltwater fishing without having to pay another fee for the privilege." Van Drew said he opposed a fee out of fear that future lawmakers would raid the fund, and explained that putting forth a free saltwater registry could help boost coastal tourism by not charging a fee to those who come to New Jersey in order to fish.

Van Drew who is vice chairman of the Senate Environment Committee proposed the legislation in October 2008.  An Assembly version of the saltwater registry legislation has already been passed successfully out of the Assembly Agriculture and Natural Resources Committee in a unanimous vote, though that bill (A3252) is now resting with the Assembly Appropriations Committee.  Van Drew has indicated that Senate Committee chairman, Sen. Bob Smith (D-Somerset) would prefer to see anglers pay the administrative costs associated with such a registry program, which is estimated to run at $1 to $2 per person.

The Recreational Fishing Alliance supports Sen. Van Drew's effort to establish a free registry, and is asking RFA-NJ chapter members to make plans to be in Trenton on Thursday at 10 a.m. in support of the S2194.  "We would really like to see the state do what Senator Van Drew wants to do," said RFA Executive Director Jim Donofrio. "We all agree the registry should be free. This should not used to fund the Division of Fish and Wildlife, it should be about getting better data to do better science and research. This is not the time to be taxing people."

RFA-NJ and RFA-PA members who would like to see New Jersey set an example for other "license-free" states are encouraged to get to the State House early on Thursday to show your support of the registry legislation.  The State House is located at 125 West State Street in Trenton, NJ 08625. Metered, on-street parking is available along West State Street, while there are several pay lots located within walking distance. Handicap parking is available in the parking garage and on West State Street in front of the State House and Annex and across the street from the State House.

On July 30, the Senate Environment Committee and Assembly Environment and Solid Waste Committee held a public hearing in Forked River to hear testimony from the public and invited witnesses on the impact in New Jersey of the new federal saltwater registry. Click here to read the official transcript  (registry testimony begins on page 115.) 

While there was no open opposition to the registry legislation at the July 30 hearing, it's expected that handful of registry opponents will be in Trenton on December 3 to speak out against Sen. Van Drew's legislation, including representatives from the New Jersey State Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs (Federation).  According to the Atlantic City Press, Ed Markowski, Southern Region Vice President of the Federation said his group is backing a fee to help support what he called the "grossly underfunded" state Bureau of Marine Fisheries. 

Saltwater anglers in New Jersey who are passionate about the future of this important registry legislation are encouraged to join the RFA-NJ chapter in Trenton on Thursday. 
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 11:14:26 PM by Hotrod »

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 10:24:28 PM »
Thanks Jim! t^
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 11:14:39 PM by Hotrod »
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 10:52:06 PM »
Even though our members don't knock down the doors of meetings in regards to saving our fishery.  A lot of them have accounted for more than 500$ in donations this year alone to the organizations fighting for our fishery. I wouldn't like them to think that their donations to this cause means nothing since they didn't attend a meeting.

My hats off to them.. once again chrz
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 11:14:57 PM by Hotrod »

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 11:05:31 PM »
 whs t^
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 11:15:16 PM by Hotrod »

Offline Capt -Jerry P

• Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
    • Fish Monger
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 11:25:45 PM »
Very good Meeting lots of good info and news on future projects ssfff is involved in.

Thanks again for all your hard work guys!!

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-