Author Topic: First time at the Hook  (Read 5069 times)

Offline brijones1

First time at the Hook
« on: June 17, 2007, 08:21:16 PM »
I walked out to the hook and fished there for the first time today.  I managed to get 6 fluke and too many sea robins.  All the fluke were short, but some were really close.  I used a tsunami pro 2oz ball jig and replaced the crappy eagle claw hook with a nice 3/0 gamakatsu shinner hook which I tied with chartruise and white bucktail.  I also had a trailer from that with another teaser.  I tipped the hooks with the 3in. smelt gulp with the swim tail.  Slow jigging seemed to work well.  I usually don't fish sundays because thats the only day I have to spend with my fiance (she bought me a shirt awhile back that says mental illness with a fisherman on it), but my idea of going to the beach worked out well in the end since I got to fish. 
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: First time at the Hook
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 08:31:13 PM »
Nice catch Bri.  Especially since it was your first trip to the hook.  Keep at it, the keepers are there, you just need to weed thru the shorts. (short fish, that is   :o TT^)
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 08:32:49 PM »
Nice report.

Sounded like a great day TT^

Remember she must know.

"We are Fisherman, therefor We Fish
 She is women therefor she'll bitch"

"Hotrod" 06/17/07  Think I need to put that on a shirt t^
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 10:02:35 PM by Hotrod »

Offline fishon42

• Super Hero Member
  • Salmon On
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 10:05:33 PM »
Hey Bri, did you walk out to the Point of the hook ? It is a nice spot for fluke. ALOTTTT of shorts, must have had 12 shorts yesterday, along with a 17" keeper, and a 20" keeper, ate the smaller one last night, it was great.

Fish On
Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

Offline brijones1

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 10:01:57 AM »
Hey Bri, did you walk out to the Point of the hook ? It is a nice spot for fluke. ALOTTTT of shorts, must have had 12 shorts yesterday, along with a 17" keeper, and a 20" keeper, ate the smaller one last night, it was great.

Fish On

I was more on the bay side, not the whole way out...
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot

Offline shadyvito

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 11:04:13 AM »

Remember she must know.

"We are Fisherman, therefor We Fish
 She is women therefor she'll bitch"

"Hotrod" 06/17/07  Think I need to put that on a shirt t^

That is F@#%ing great!  It got me slapped, but it's still great.  Put that on a t-shirt!
PS - That's what that part of the alphabet would look like if there where no Q or R.

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 11:06:32 AM »
nice catch
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline fishon42

• Super Hero Member
  • Salmon On
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 05:28:22 PM »
Very nice fish. I will be out the "tip" of sandy hook again for fluke this upcoming Saturday. I am sure the fluke will still be hanging around there.  ;)

Fish On
Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

Offline shadyvito

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 10:04:32 PM »
I know that I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed so bear with me.  Is the point the northern most point of the park above the coast guard station?  Also, I was driving though the historic section and was wondering who lived in the old houses there, the coast guard peeps?
PS - That's what that part of the alphabet would look like if there where no Q or R.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2007, 11:52:13 PM »
I am not sure about the point but your question about the old buildings I can answer by copying the info off another site.

Located at the north end of beautiful Sandy Hook, Fort Hancock served in coastal defense until 1974. Sandy Hook, a six-mile sandbar peninsula reaching into lower New York Harbor, was a strategic site for both navigational and defense purposes.

In 1764 the Sandy Hook Lighthouse was constructed to curtail the growing number of shipwrecks. Today it is the nation's oldest lighthouse still in use.

The site of a number of fortifications since the American Revolution, Sandy Hook became the home of Fort Hancock in 1899, with the completion of the first thirty-four buildings, including eighteen Georgian Revival style homes for officers and their families.

Fort Hancock was armed with the most sophisticated weaponry of the day. In 1893 Battery Potter was completed, featuring the nation's first and only steam-lift gun battery. Each of two 12-inch guns fired a half-ton projectile with a range of seven miles through its 52-ton barrel. 1894 saw the completion of the first operational concrete batteries. Arranged in a square, the four concrete pits, each mounted with four 12-inch mortars, were interconnected by tunnels and ammo rooms, which later sheltered the New York Harbor Defense Command.

A wide variety weapons were employed at Fort Hancock in subsequent years, from more modern cannon to Nike Missiles, and until the weapons became too powerful, Sandy Hook also served as a proving ground.

Though many of the gun emplacements and structures have fallen into disrepair, a tour of the complex provides an enlightening experience for families and groups of all ages. Many structures remain, including the Sandy Hook Museum (1899 building) that tells the story of Fort Hancock and exhibits displays of military memorabilia. The Guardian Park Nike Missile Display is interesting, and History House, a restored home on "Officer's Row".

I hope this helps...

Paul

IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline shadyvito

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2007, 09:47:55 AM »
Thanks!

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-