Author Topic: Spining Reel: Daiwa Saltist or Penn Conquer?  (Read 6945 times)

Offline Tacklebox Joe

• Super Hero Member
Spining Reel: Daiwa Saltist or Penn Conquer?
« on: February 06, 2010, 08:11:34 PM »
Looking to pick up a new spining reel (4000/5000 series) before spring. I've done the research but still torn between the two.Has anyone here used one or both.  I'll be matching it with a gloomis (medium action) progreen rod. Spooling 20 or 30# power pro braid. Using it for stripers, blues and fluke. If so, ur comments..please.

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
Re: Spining Reel: Daiwa Saltist or Penn Conquer?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 10:39:54 PM »
Daiwa makes a good spinning reel.  I haven't tried the Saltist, but I have owned a bunch of Daiwas, including a Capricorn as well as a couple of the older Emblem X models with the ABS spools.  That ABS spool/winding system is superior to any Penn reel made (now or then).  That being said, Shimano's new "Line Propulsion System" on many of their newer spinning reels (i.e. Stradic, Sustain, etc.) is equally good (if not better).

One other downfall of buying the Penn is that it's a brand new and untested by the general public.  If you like being a guinea pig and trying new things (I do!) ;D then maybe that's the reel for you.  If you want to go with what's known to work, pick the Daiwa.  Or better yet, consider a Shimano. t^

Offline Tacklebox Joe

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 09:37:34 AM »
thanks for the input bucktail. own several conventional penns but never a spinner from them. will look at shimanos stats and try to get one in my hand for a "feel test"   

Offline Noworries2009

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 10:00:42 AM »
I agree with bucktail ! Daiwa is also making a better all around product than Penn with all the other reels.If you're over 200  you should look at the Shimano line. They seem to be the leader. Just in my mind anyway Stradic or Sustain is even better. I'll help you spend "your" money  ;D

Offline Tacklebox Joe

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 03:31:16 PM »
LOL

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 04:06:56 PM »
The new Penn looks like a decent real and not anything like a few of their "bad" reels.  It got a lot of good reviews.  I don't have any personal experience with it and being new, it is untried at this point.

Like BT and NW said, Daiwas are not bad reels.  I have a couple older models that are still going.  Their new models are nice.

However, in the $200 range, I too, would go with a Shimano.  I have an few year old Stradic and love it in the surf.  I also tried out a new Stradic and Sustain...very, very, very nice!  Lots of new and improved technology, not too bulky, smooth as can be, casted well and Shimano Quality.  Not too often you hear anything bad about a Shimano.

Good luck!

TT^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-