Author Topic: mahi regulations?  (Read 6987 times)

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
Re: mahi regulations?
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2007, 09:36:39 AM »
with 63 gals,, my 1/4 tank is pretty darn close to 1/2 tank for you. wow what a difference.
All your tuna's are belong to me

Offline salty pig

• the pig
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2007, 09:37:09 AM »
Never know how accurate the gauge is just had new one installed. I WANT SOME MAHI MAHI  :'( :'(
'

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2007, 09:45:32 AM »
lol, me too brotha, me too

Offline fishraiser

• "Ya Can't Take It With Ya"
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2007, 09:54:42 AM »
I just installed a Flo-Scan fuel flow meter on my boat this past winter,I got tired of guessing how much I was burning.The thing is dead on accurate to 1 gal or less.Now I can run & know exactly how much I've burned.It also gives a real time GPH burn reading that you can see where your engine(or engines)will run @ the optimum RPM.Push that throttle down & watch that needle get buried :P.They aren't too cheap up to $600 for a twin engine model but the piece of mind it gives you is worth it, they come with a very detailed set of installation instructions.
Capt. Joe

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2007, 10:01:15 AM »
 i was thinking about that system, but my motor has 2 pumps, and the actual gph will not be aucurate. still trying to figure out if the yamaha system will do what i want.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2007, 06:29:26 PM »
I have had the Yamaha Fuel Management System on my boat since new (1994).  It is still acurate to within a gallon or two.  I carry 216 gallons but rarely let it get down too far.  Anyway, I don't see what difference two pumps would make.  If you are talking about fuel pumps on the motor, on my old 2-stroke, there were six.  The sender goes into the fuel line.  All the fuel would flow thru the sender before it gets to anything that may affect it.
In my opinion, the fuel management system (flow scan) is a very valuable tool.  As Fishraiser said, you can tell your optimum cruising speed for maximum fuel economy.

Joe
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2007, 06:40:38 PM »
 what i mean by 2fuel pumps is i have a low pressrue pump that feeds the vst (vapor seperation tank ( i think its called)). then from the vst there is a high pressure pump that feeds the fuel rail for the injection.

the low pressure pump cycles on and off constantly to feed the vst which will throw off the actual burn rate (gph). the total fuel consumed will be accurate, but not burn rate which is a little more important for managing fuel use. so over all, i'm not sure if the couple/few hundred dollar price tag is worth it just to tell me what i've used. and if i do decide to go for just that, i'm sure there are alternatives that are cheaper, since thats all it will be good for is total fuel used.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2007, 07:49:57 PM »
Thanks for the explaination Reel Time.  I am by no means an outboard mechanic.  Only know about what I have dealt with on my boats. 

Your explaination seems logical to me about the burn rate.  I also found this so I could understand it better. 

Why does my fuel computer give LOW or erratic readings?

Another cause of erratic readings is the way the newer EFI engines operate which is by delivering fuel to the engine from a fuel reservoir. This reservoir (or bowl) is refilled from the main fuel tank only when the bowl level is getting low. This produces a high flow rate through the fuel transducer when the bowl is filling and little or no flow rate when the bowl is not filling. Although the fuel flow transducer can accurately follow these changes, it can be difficult to display the fuel flow rate due to the rapid variation. To overcome this the fuel computers all have a flow filter setting in the menu, which acts as an averaging or smoothing factor on the readings. Usually a carburetted engine will require a setting of 10-15 seconds whilst an EFI engine will require a longer setting. Remember that the flow filter setting does not affect the accuracy of the fuel used or the fuel remaining, but does affect the display of fuel flow. Always use the lowest filter setting that gives a smooth flow reading.

Something I was unaware of.  Thanks again.   t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-