Author Topic: How is this reel for stripers?  (Read 1657 times)

Online fishon42

• Super Hero Member
  • Salmon On
    • Facebook
How is this reel for stripers?
« on: May 13, 2010, 04:54:09 PM »
I had a good reel for the last few years but over time the saltwater kind of screwed it up. I like my stuff to look crisp and clean as well. Maybe I should have taken care of my reel a little better  rgmn

Anyway, I got a new reel, an Okuma Stinson Si65, and I put 260 yards of 20 pound mono on there for stripers. Does that sound ok ? It was a 60$ reel. When I paid for it, the guy said wow that is a really good price for that reel. Then he started talking to me and telling me how he goes out on the Golden Eagle all the time, etc, etc.

But how does that sound if i stick that on a 7? foot medium heavy ? ugly stick.
Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

Online fishon42

• Super Hero Member
  • Salmon On
    • Facebook
Re: How is this reel for stripers?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 12:21:23 AM »
This is a fairly large reel. Is that bad? I dont want it to look funny on a 7 foot ugly stick. It may be off balanced? Not sure, anyone know ?  :-X

http://www.boaterbarn.com/Okuma_STINSON_SI_65_CL_Spinning_Reel.htm
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 12:27:04 AM by fishon42 »
Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 12:55:26 AM »
This is a fairly large reel. Is that bad? I dont want it to look funny on a 7 foot ugly stick. It may be off balanced? Not sure, anyone know ?  :-X

http://www.boaterbarn.com/Okuma_STINSON_SI_65_CL_Spinning_Reel.htm

Great price on that reel.  They are normally $80.  I don't know much about the Okuma brand, but have heard good things about them.  The 65 is on the bigger side of size...how does it feel on the 7 foot rod.  Is it balanced or way to heavy for that rod.  It is a heavier reel at 21oz, but not that bad...doesn't matter how it looks, matters how it feels ;D!

TT^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 09:54:18 AM »
Hey Mark, I think that that reel is to much for that rod.  You would do better with something in a 30 class.  that 60 is way to heavy.  It will work but way to heavy and your arms will fall off is you hold it all the time.

To give you an idea I have an 8' Tica that I use a Penn slammer the 360 on and I can fish that all day with little to no fatigue.  I have will over 200 yards of 20# braid on it and it casts like a charm.

Good Luck

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Online fishon42

• Super Hero Member
  • Salmon On
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 10:07:28 AM »
Returning it right now rgmn

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-