Author Topic: Problem with Ugly Sticks  (Read 3378 times)

Offline Marine Girl

Problem with Ugly Sticks
« on: April 28, 2010, 02:41:15 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I am new to the site and love what I see.  I am sure I'll learn a lot from all the members. My first question is about the Ugly Sticks we own.
The fiberglass at the tips is fraying and sticking our fingers when we go to change tackle.
Does anyone know if this can be repaired and how. Or should we invest in new rods.  Any info would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Marine Girl

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Problem with Ugly Sticks
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 02:45:08 PM »
If you are talking about the tip-top of the rod it may be an easy fix of removing the tip, cutting back the rod a small amount and remounting the tip.

If that is not where the problem is, it may help to post a pic and point out the offending area on the rods.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 02:45:41 PM »
 :headscra:

Offline Treebeard

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 03:04:32 PM »
First off, Welcome!! This is kinda perplexing..  :headscra:  Ugly Stiks are solid (not hollow) fiberglass it the tips, so if you are getting splintering there, it not good and suggests blank failure.. After selling Uglies for many years, I can't recall ever seeing that happen.. If the "fraying" is minimal and mostly on the surface, you may be able to smooth them out by lightly sanding the blanks with some fine grit paper.. otherwise, it may be time to replace them  .. Some pics would help us to better understand your problem   chrz
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 03:57:38 PM by Treebeard »

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 04:50:54 PM »
Welcome aboard.......utilize Ugly Stiks almost entirely on my boat, never had a problem like you have discribed and they get some beating.

Can you post a pic or 2?

Offline bugmannj

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 05:04:01 PM »
Might be a good idea to contact Shakesphere and seewhat they say. Could be a defect in the fiberglass.
Good things come to those who bait

Builds and repairs rods if needed

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 08:18:35 PM »
Welcome,  I have used and sold many Uglies and never heard of the problem you are encountering.
If its limited to the tip top could be wear but if its the entire blank  splintering then I'd be concerned and contact the manufactuer. :headscra:

Offline Marine Girl

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 01:52:28 PM »
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your responses. I tried to take pics, but they did not turn out.  So I went to Shakespeare site and copied a picture from there.
I circled the part of the rod in question (the"clear tip"). I have been having difficulty posting it so I will try to send in separate post. The fraying consists of small thin hairlike fibers sticking out from the rod.  Also, I have apparently been using freshwater rods in saltwater.  Does that make a difference?  I purchased the rods in 1996 and other than the fraying, they are in good condition, so I would hate to part with them.  The sanding that was recommended seems to be my best option.  Should I do something to seal it afterwards, paint, etc.??

Thanks

Marine Girl

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 02:09:02 PM »
You probably need to reduce the image.  or Copy the image location and post it here..

Offline Marine Girl

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 02:14:29 PM »
Thanks Hotrod,

Do Pics show up when you preview?

MG
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 04:21:43 PM by Hotrod »

Offline Wreckfish

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 03:31:37 PM »
If it is fraying then the fiber glass is failing.  It will break at some point. Like someone mention above if it is not too far from the tiptop you can trim the blank past the fraying and hot glue a new tiptop on. 
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 03:32:25 PM by Wreckfish »

Offline Treebeard

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 04:34:15 PM »
Hmm.. it sounds like the glass took a bad hit and is splintering.. sanding/cutting may only do so much if it continues to split down the blank.. If you can arrest the splintering, you can coat it with a 1 part urethane finish like  U-40 Perma Gloss, or automotive touch-up clear coat will also work.. There is another option.. send it back to Shakespeare and get a new one.. I'm pretty sure  they where already selling under the lifetime warranty in '96.. and in all my years in the tackle biz, I'll say  Shakespeare was the easiest to get returns on..I can not really ever recall having one refused .. with the Ugly Stik  being the #1 selling rod of all time, and as  close to unbreakable as a rod can get, they can afford to be generous on returns..and they are.. Good luck!  chrz

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-