Author Topic: Parachute jigs  (Read 5144 times)

Offline pilot2550

• Super Hero Member
  • Z'Obsession
Parachute jigs
« on: June 28, 2007, 08:49:19 PM »
Who knows how to fish parachutes.  I understand there are two methods: slow troll and drift.  Any feedback with respect to technique, line, weight etc would be appreciated.

Pilot

Offline Capt. Ed

Re: Parachute jigs
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 08:54:47 PM »
Hi Pilot,

I hope you have big arms and like to work the rod.

I will explain later but you need a good rod with some whip and you work the jig while the boat boats. It is not put the rod in the holder and let the boat, wave action and the lure catch the fish.

You put all the action on the jig.

I will explain technique later or tomorrow.

Yikes ... use bunker spoons!

Ed

Offline pilot2550

• Super Hero Member
  • Z'Obsession
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 09:01:29 PM »
That much fun Capt Ed?  A buddy of mine is on a tear and looking to get going with them.  I don't have a clue on this one.

Pilot

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 09:13:02 PM »
Hi,

Cool ... Milt Rosko has already done this for me ...

Milt writes ...

Of all the leadhead type jigs available, the parachute jig is by far the most effective trolling leadhead. It utilizes a basic torpedo or bullet-shaped leadhead, where strands of artificial fiber are tied to the jig where it meets the hook; half of the strands extend forward and half extend rearward. When drawn through the water, the forward-facing strands are forced rearward, where they undulate enticingly. Fish the parachute jig on an 8-foot-long leader of 40-pound-test line in conjunction with monofilament line in shallow water and wire line in deep water.

When simply trolled along, the parachute jig is totally ineffective. It requires permitting it to be extended astern until the lure bounces bottom, then reeling up several turns of the reel handle, getting the lure just off the bottom.

Then the work begins, as you've got to jig the lure to give it action. This is easily accomplished by facing astern and standing at the transom. Point your rod tip downward to near vertical position, and then sharply snap the rod tip forward, causing the jig to dart forward and falter, much like a struggling baitfish. This is hard work, make no mistake about it, but on a cold spring day, it'll keep you warm as you troll the parachute jig and pork rind through a rip line or just above a rocky ledge where bait and stripers congregate.

I have successfully worked these things on Penn Senator 3/0 reels and a fiberglass blank rod from Sam Scott. It was 8 ft. and at the end of the day I knew it. Some guys putlower the jig and put the rod in the poelhilder and then jerk on the line. I have seen it work but really working the lead is the key.

Again, if you are into this cool. If you are about to try, it is hard to master ... you will end up buying dedicated rods ... and probably outcatch a bunch of folks.

When I get power back on the boat, I will send you GPS coordinates of a drop off at the rocks that I used to work hard with these things.

From that mark and a plotter, you will see the long dropoff that I like.

Capt. Ed

Offline pilot2550

• Super Hero Member
  • Z'Obsession
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 09:20:21 PM »
You are the man!  Thanks for the research/feedback.  It looks like pushups before the weekend. ;D  The numbers would be great.

Pilot

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 09:24:06 PM »
Pilot, like it says in the last post, hold the rod tip down and start doing a rowing motion, snapping the rod back and then letting the jig drop back.
A buddy of mine killed the bass using the parachute rig when everyone else had slow action on the troll.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline pilot2550

• Super Hero Member
  • Z'Obsession
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 08:37:58 PM »
Capt Ed,

Wondering if you had an opportunity to collect some of the numbers you referenced in prior reply.  Plannning on heading out tomorrow to the Rocks and would be interested in knowing the slope you mentioned and water depths.

Thanks in advance.

Pilot

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 09:52:51 PM »
Hi,

No ... I ripped the batteries out again and had to build a custom battery tray system.

Sorry ... I am down for the count until at least Sunday ...

The area is on the northern part of the rocks at:

N40 20.865  W 73 56.835

thru

N 40 20.835  W 73 57.120

to

N 40 20.726  W 73 57.495

These should put you close ... on the depth finder, you are looking for sudden drops and big rocks from 20 to 40 ft. (roughly).

This is the area. You just have to look with the finder a bit. There will be boats anchored all over this area if there is word that the fish are on the bite.

Sorry I don't have the exact numbers but look near that line.

Good luck,

Capt. Ed

Offline pilot2550

• Super Hero Member
  • Z'Obsession
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 11:16:26 PM »
Really appreciate the info.  I'll report back tomorrow.  Morning will be here before you know it.

Pilot

Offline pilot2550

• Super Hero Member
  • Z'Obsession
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2007, 10:01:10 PM »
Fished the rocks on saturday on the chunk.  Plenty of boats out there.  Did not see a one lifting a rod tip for over 3.5  hrs.  Moved off in search of sea bass and came up empty. Back to the hook to experiment with the P-jigs through SH channel.  My buddy got a good work out using the technique described by Capt Ed.  Although we marked bait fish, no stripers.  Switched over to a stretch 25 for a pass down the channel.  The action on these are really incredible.  No pickups on either.  Heading back in toward the radio towers to pick a few short fluke and one for the box.  Added a two more closer to AH before calling it a day.  Thanks again for the info on the rocks.  I imagine this area is real productive at the right time of the year.

Pilot

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2007, 10:31:14 PM »
Hi Pilot,

... sit down for this.

You guys left too early!

The bite was in the afternoon (late afternoon - I don't know the folks I know did not tell me the exact time). They nailed tons of cow Stripers with no one else in the area.

They are still biting there daily and down off Seaside Park. You will have plenty more chances.

They caught on the chunk ...

Ed

Offline pilot2550

• Super Hero Member
  • Z'Obsession
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2007, 10:50:40 PM »
UGH!!  I'm not giving up. Next time I post it will be with photos  TT^

Pilot

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-