Author Topic: hook sharpening  (Read 2021 times)

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
hook sharpening
« on: May 26, 2010, 12:55:45 PM »
Sounds logical- a sharp hook will set easier and hold more fish than a dull one. Your hookup and landing ratios will improve if you keep your hooks sharp. Provided you can find the fish at all.....

ok lesson over- lotsa guys don't sharpen their hooks, but they do take a beating.

Tying up a few fluke rigs, I noticed many of my old rigs still lookin' solid, but the hooks not so much. I've heard a few ways to hone 'em up-- I usually use a small stone from the shop. Works good but not the easiest thing to do on a rockin' boat...

Anyone else resharpening hooks? If so how are you doing it?

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: hook sharpening
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 04:11:39 PM »
I keep a file on the boat. If my hook gets dull I will either sharpen it with the file or replace it if it is too bad to dress up with the file.

Buy the hooks in the hundred pack and the price per hook is pretty low compared to the rest of your gear so replacing a dull hook isn't that expensive of a deal.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 05:14:03 PM »
The one I use is by Smith.  It is a diamond sharpening steel that comes to a point at one end is flat and rounded at the other plus one side has a groove to sharpen hooks.  Works well on both knives and hooks.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 05:53:46 PM »
I've used one of these for years on fluke hooks, teasers, Spros, AVA jigs, Krocodile spoons etc.

Start every trip running my hook through and touch up the point as needed.

http://www.tackletogo.com/donbiggamhoo.html

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 06:52:25 PM »
Most of the better brand hooks don't need to be sharpened.  Gamakatsu, VMC, Eagle Claw Laser Sharp, Daiichi, Owner (and others) all come with razor sharp points right out of the package.   

After a while  they may lose their edge, and you can get a couple more fish out of them by touching them up with a file.  But, as Joe said, hooks are fairly inexpensive so it may just be best to replace them as needed. t^

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 07:02:58 PM »
Warren, I touch em up with a file.And those I replace I try to give to the kids I see on the piers. Keeps their cost down.

Offline Salty Dog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 07:24:04 PM »
I use a little battery operated job.Strips line from a reel and has a stone on the end that will sharpen hooks.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-