Author Topic: How to "find the fish?"  (Read 3905 times)

Offline bossross

How to "find the fish?"
« on: May 27, 2010, 09:34:09 PM »
So, striper fishing has been unbelievably good this season.

We've caught fish with a wide variety of methods. Live lining bunker, chunking, jigging, trolling and top water plugs have all produced fish.

The last few days have proven to be tough though. We have found the bunker and snagged them, no takers. We've found marks and trolled through them and jigged them, again no takers.

My question is when there seems to be no fish, how do you 'find' them? No way all those fish vacated the area so abruptly (or did they?)

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: How to "find the fish?"
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 09:43:30 PM »
the alternative is to anchor at your favorite spot and chum heavily.  You will bring them to you.  The fish didn't vanish.  They are there, but just may not be actively feeding.  If you get a good, heavy chum slick, you force them into a feeding frenzy, hence, upping your odds of scoring.

Just troll, or drive until you see good readings, then drop anchor and draw them in.

The ocean is huge.  You may not see them on your screen, but they may only be 100 yards from you. 

When I chum for stripers, I never get a reading on my FF.  The chum slick runs behind the boat.  The fish will be holding about 30' off the back.  Your finder won't pick them up. Sometimes you just have to find a good spot and go blind. 
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Salty Dog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 05:48:23 AM »
 whs

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 09:19:03 AM »
think of it this way.  Fish are always moving.  Its like trying to swat a fly.  It is there, but you might miss it 15 times before you swat it.  Its hard to hit a moving target.  If you get a good reading on your fish finder, its because the fish are holding in a particul spot, over a particular structure, or chasing a particular bait.  The fish are there, but if they aren't holding, and always moving you may never see them on your finder. BUT THE ARE THERE.. trust me.. they are all over this season.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline bossross

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 10:43:00 AM »
Thanks for the response Nick. I haven't chummed for stripers, I'll try that next time it's slow out there.

So, I'm guessing chumming with cut up bunker is the thing to do? 

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 11:28:45 AM »
Look for structure. Have a good chart of the area and a good bottom machine (depth finder). Typically, if you find structure, you may find where the fish are.

By structure I mean anything that changes the norm of the area. A hill, a hole, different bottom make-up. (clam bed, rock, etc)

Good luck.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 09:48:47 AM »
Thanks for the response Nick. I haven't chummed for stripers, I'll try that next time it's slow out there.

So, I'm guessing chumming with cut up bunker is the thing to do? 
No.. buy a bushel of clams.  shuck about 4 or 5 at a time.  Dice them up on your cutting board.  Every few minutes, fling a section of that chum in the water while baiting your hook with the whole clam. 

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline double3fd

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 02:35:15 PM »
when you mean chum heavy, are you referring to cutting up clams into tiny pieces and tossing them over / cracking the shells, or getting a 5 gal bucket of ground up meat and hanging off the side?
-Angry Snapper- "A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work"

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 05:38:26 PM »
when you mean chum heavy, are you referring to cutting up clams into tiny pieces and tossing them over / cracking the shells, or getting a 5 gal bucket of ground up meat and hanging off the side?
some people just bat the clams with a bat into the water.  I like taking a few clams, shuck them, dice them up and sparingly fling them in the water towards the bow.  Keep it steady until the fish arive.  What I do is use my left over clams from the previous trip as my chum clams because I have to freeze them anyway and stripers will only take fresh clams.  Then buy a bushel of fresh clams as my bait.  If you want some help, I will be doing this tomorrow morning.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline double3fd

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 02:28:19 PM »
cool thank you
-Angry Snapper- "A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work"

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-