Author Topic: gaffing question...  (Read 4248 times)

Offline fishon42

• Super Hero Member
  • Salmon On
    • Facebook
gaffing question...
« on: May 26, 2010, 02:17:11 PM »
I have a serious question. I understand gaffing can be a part of fishing, for tuna, blues, and whatever else I don't know about. But do people really need to gaff stripers? Is it because they have no net or never bought one? This isn't an insult to gaffers, I am just curious.
Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: gaffing question...
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 02:29:09 PM »
never gaff Stripers.  First, no need to, they won't rip the next like bluefish will if you were to net them.

Second, you can just simply lip them and lift them into the boat.

Third, most stripers will be released, so putting a gaff to it leaves no chance for a measurement.

The only thing I gaff on the boat is Bluefish, shark, tuna, etc.. NEVER a STRIPER
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline fishon42

• Super Hero Member
  • Salmon On
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 02:43:39 PM »
Yeh nick, I agree with you. I'm only asking because I saw it the other day.... What if that person wanted to mount it? In my opinion I think its stupid. Yes bluefish because of there teeth and what not will eventually tear the net. Stripers don't have teeth.
Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 06:42:08 PM »
you can still mount a gaffed fish.. I have a large Barracuda on my wall, and you can be sure, I had to gaff that one..

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 06:58:41 PM »
I  net all Bass. Only net and thats it.Keep in mind the net has to have a huge pocket and sturdy handle.I keep some and release the rest to fight another day.As you know,if u gaff a fish there is very low odds of survival.  The blues fish can be slung over the side if they break off thats ok too.
Good Question and
Good Luck out there.

Offline Capt. Carl

• New Jersey Fishing Guru
  • Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
  • Hired Gun
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 07:52:36 PM »
if its going in my box....gaff or net....no difference to me at all...some people like it, some dont. if conservation is what the net is all about, lets think of what we are doing to that 40 + pound fish we are holding up with our hands under its gill plates to get a pic and then releasing them.... dont you think some of those fish die from that as well....even when a net is used to land it?

like i said, if its going in my box, gaff or net....im good with both of them.

Capt. Carl DiMenna
100 Ton U.S.C.G Master

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 08:01:14 PM »
Yes, Some fish might die if netted,but certainly will die if gaffed.Letsd face it:placing a gaff,or hitting a certain spot on a moving fish is an art.

Offline Capt. Carl

• Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
  • Hired Gun
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 08:23:57 PM »
absolutely true....which is why i carefully stated....if the fish is going in my box....i see no problem using a gaff if that is your preferred method.
Capt. Carl DiMenna
100 Ton U.S.C.G Master

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 08:29:59 PM »
Agreed.  (two great minds and one great thought) chrz

Offline Capt. Carl

• Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
  • Hired Gun
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 08:32:23 PM »
lol!  chrz
Capt. Carl DiMenna
100 Ton U.S.C.G Master

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 08:41:42 PM »
Would have to agree with Carl if it is going in the box, there is no reason not to gaff the fish, what ever species.

Many people think they are doing the right thing by netting the fish, man handling it and then throwing, not placing, throwing it back, a good portion of these fish will die.

If I am going to release the fish it gets dehooked in the water without touching it, this is the proper way to release.

If you want to mount a fish take a couple good picks and measrue the length and girth while handling it properly, then place it back into the water.

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 09:04:22 PM »
Like you guys said. Only a picture and measurement is needed for a mount. The carcass is no longer needed. many anglers still gaff Black drum in the bottom lip.
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 09:10:18 PM »
why gaff and get the boat unnecessarily bloody. lol

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline fishon42

• Super Hero Member
  • Salmon On
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2010, 01:36:01 PM »
Would have to agree with Carl if it is going in the box, there is no reason not to gaff the fish, what ever species.

Many people think they are doing the right thing by netting the fish, man handling it and then throwing, not placing, throwing it back, a good portion of these fish will die.

If I am going to release the fish it gets dehooked in the water without touching it, this is the proper way to release.

If you want to mount a fish take a couple good picks and measrue the length and girth while handling it properly, then place it back into the water.

Wait, Captain Bob... why would a good portion of those fish die if thrown back into the water ? lol  5hrug :headscra:

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2010, 04:47:27 PM »

Wait, Captain Bob... why would a good portion of those fish die if thrown back into the water ? lol  5hrug :headscra:

Mark

Because the majority of the people manhandle the fish, either by jamming fingers in the gills, let them flop around the deck, etc. plus if you break the slim coat on the fishes skin it leaves them open to disease, etc.  And most who release the fish just throw it bck into the water, not gently releasing it.

If you are going to release the fish, have the angler guide it to the side of the boat and dehook it while it is in the water.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2010, 05:16:34 PM »
 whs

I have used a dehooker for a while now.  They are not expensive and are really easy to use.  In fact I have made my own after loosing a couple (which it is very easy to do).  If you have access to the 5 gal buckets use the metal handle they are great.

But to gaff a fish is defiantly its death gouge.  Which is okay as long as you will make use of the flesh.  If not, it is a useless kill.  In a lot of places you can ask the captain (and make sure if out of country) what will the fish be for.  If your okay with that have a good trip.  If not look for a boat that will be doing what you want. 

Sorry for going off question but your gaffing question is a good one.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline fishon42

• Super Hero Member
  • Salmon On
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2010, 08:18:36 PM »
Yes that makes sense. It is stupid to be jamming fingers in gills and hauling them back in the water, mine as well punch it in the head while your at it. I've never used a dehooker, sounds reasonable! Thanks :)

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-