Author Topic: Mayhem on Monday  (Read 2456 times)

Offline Andys Delight

• Super Hero Member
Mayhem on Monday
« on: July 26, 2010, 10:04:34 PM »
Took the day off with the girlfriend and left the house a little late after sleeping in.  On route 287 my trailer tire blew out leaving me stuck on the side waiting for trailer assist.  I could not get the damn bolt for the spare free'd up so I could just change it myself.  30 minutes later and still no trailer assist worker, but 3 NJDOT guys pulled over and offered to help.  They all turned out to be boaters as well and couldn't just drive by me.  They had all the tools and the 3 guys did all the work.  They refused to let me help, and then afterward I tried to give each guy a $20 and they all refused after multiple offers.  They told me they were happy to get me out there on the fish.  A firm handshake for each one of them and renewed faith in my fellow man and I was back on the road. 

Headed out of Keyport and made a bee line for the tip.  Was really just planning to take a nice cruise along the shore but it was so calm and the drift was perfect, the gf said she wanted to try and fish.  Set up right at Gunnison with a SE drift and it was quickly game on.  Lots of shorts and searobins, but on the second drift she started reeling something strong.  Thought it was likely a doggie, but grabbed the net anyway.  She got it to the top and hooooooly cow it's Flukasaurus!!!  I go to start netting and I'm yelling "don't lift it!!", but she lifted it anyway.  Flukasaurus went shaky shaky and fell off the hook.  She had to grab my legs to keep me from falling in the water trying to net it anyway, but I couldn't get it in time.  She felt awful, but what can you do?   5hrug  Took a 3rd drift with no luck but some more shorties.  We decided we were hungry and gonna make a run to the Clam Hut and she asks if I could spray some lotion on her back. 

As I'm spraying I notice something dastardly!  Her lotion is Banana Boat! Now, I'm not the most superstitious person in the world, but no friggin bananas on my boat!!!!  Not even the word!  Now the flat tire and missed Flukasaurus are making sense, plus the fact my GPS was acting squirrely trying to acquire signal.  Not being one to litter, I told her that crap goes in the garbage at the Clam Hut.

Have a nice lunch, she goes to the bathroom and I remind her to trash the lotion.  We eat and head out on our way to the 11a only to be greeted with a nasty headwind and some snotty seas.  Decided we were gonna head back to the ramp instead.  Get in after a ridiculous wet ride in and get the boat up on the trailer.  Decide I need a cold one and of course the bar across from the ramp is closed.   rgmn  Get back to my truck and low and behold right on the top of her bag is the damn Banana Boat lotion!! cfzd   She said she forgot to throw it out.  I finally trash it, and sure enough I look out on the water and it's laying down like glass. 

So to all of you that had to endure those snotty seas, my girlfriend would like to apologize for offending the gods and bringing "Banana" on the boat.  Even still, was better than work.   t^ 
The cure for everything is salt water: sweat, tears, and the sea.

Offline Andys Delight

• Super Hero Member
Re: Mayhem on Monday
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 10:06:50 PM »
And just to add to the Banana Boat curse, when I got home I realized my 2 cycle oil container busted open during our ride back to the ramp and spilled all over in my storage.  What a mess!!   rgmn

The curse is real, people!

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 10:28:36 PM »
 clp clp clpnj

Great read...

Stelly works for njdot as a road mach.. he a good friend of Jerry's  and I think his route is up by there..

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 12:13:33 AM »
WOw Now I know what my problem is this year I just relized after readin your post there is a tube of that stuff on my boat   fcp  thud
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

Offline Andys Delight

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 02:43:55 PM »
Just found out my gf snapped these 2 pics on the side of the road.  The 3 gentlemen with the orange vests are the true salt of the earth.  Nicest fellas I've met in a long time.  Like I said before, their kindness really renews my faith in my fellow man.  The tire was toast! 

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 03:53:57 PM »
The 3 gentlemen with the orange vests are the true salt of the earth.  Nicest fellas I've met in a long time.  Like I said before, their kindness really renews my faith in my fellow man.

:headscra: So maybe the Banana Boat was not bad luck after all. ;) t^
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 03:54:29 PM by Bucktail »

Offline Andys Delight

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 04:17:31 PM »
The 3 gentlemen with the orange vests are the true salt of the earth.  Nicest fellas I've met in a long time.  Like I said before, their kindness really renews my faith in my fellow man.

:headscra: So maybe the Banana Boat was not bad luck after all. ;) t^

I'd like to think the kindness of these guys overcame the Banana Boat curse  :P

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 04:33:15 PM »
Ah, I see... The age old battle of good vs. sunblock! ;D

Offline TRSteve71

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 05:03:10 PM »
Man that tire is shredded! Glad no one was hurt.. Same thing happened to myself on 287 up near Skunksville years back.. took out the tire and the plastic fender.

Glad to see ya got help too..

Offline bugmannj

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 05:13:28 PM »
Todays Bergen Record had an article in it that Christie wants to do away with NJDOT emergency patrol and privatize it. rgmn Lucky for you he hasn't done it yet. Probably would have cost you big time.
Good things come to those who bait

Builds and repairs rods if needed

Offline sealife

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 06:30:29 PM »
The other day at the Shark River Ramp there was a bannana tossed on the side.  Looked some boater got lucky and had his crew dump it before they put to sea. 

Offline Andys Delight

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 08:10:13 AM »
The tire actually blew through the sidewall.  Seems most likely there was a small weak spot/bubble.  The treads on that tire were damn near brand new and the hub wasn't even warm when I touched it to see if my bearings locked up.  Even if NJDOT didn't show up, I do have unlimited Trailer Assist through BoatUS so it wouldn't have cost me anything, but who knows how long I would have sat there.  I sent a letter of commendation to the NJDOT and actually received a nice, personalized response from them thanking me.  It would be a real shame to do away with that service.  It's unnerving trying to change a spare with 18 wheelers flying by at 70 mph.  Thankfully it was my passenger wheel. Those guys were a huge help. 

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-