Author Topic: Pt. Pleasant/Manasquan Today! July 12  (Read 4988 times)

Offline soxfanjp

• Full Member of the Den
Pt. Pleasant/Manasquan Today! July 12
« on: July 12, 2007, 12:11:07 PM »
Heading out for my try on the inlet today.  Leaving around 12:30-1PM, take me about an hour to get there and get set up.  Gonna look for "Fish on" who's down there today as well.  Trying my luck for my first fluke of the year.

I'll have my report upon my return....hopefully it's a good one!  TT^
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 09:56:23 AM by Hotrod »
It's not how deep you fish, it's how you wiggle your worm!"

Offline Mate Mike

Re: Pt. Pleasant/Manasquan Today!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 12:49:40 PM »
My recommendation for fishing the wall on the Manasquan Inlet is to check the tide first.  Best to fish one hour either side of slack tide because when the tide is running it rips thru there and no matter how much weight you use you will not hold bottom and your rig will be dragged sideways. 
"I spend most of my time fishing and bow hunting, the rest I waste."

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 01:05:03 PM »
good luck to ya..
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline fishon42

• Super Hero Member
  • Salmon On
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 07:47:37 PM »
hey soxfan i was there from about 10:00 this morning until about 4:45 this afternoon. Caught 1 keeper at 18 inches, a few snappers and a few shorts. The incoming tide was ripping through there, once i casted, 3 seconds later I was all the way to the left. Didnt matter how far towards the ocean i threw my line. Which guy were you ? I was fishing to the right when you look at the Inlet from the Pt. Pleasant side. Anyway, no pictures today, sisters camera battery was dead so didnt bother taking it. Just got 1 keeper and a few snappers that i just filleted up. It was a little slow today, but best time to fish was after the outgoing tide to be honest. Best bait was fresh squid and a killie.  t^

Fish On
Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 07:51:02 PM »
Good lucksoxfan and good report fishon.   t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline soxfanjp

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 10:48:53 PM »
Well, started around 2:30 in the afternoon on the inlet off the wall, casted and dragged about 8 or 10 times, got snagged on the bottom and couldn't get my rig back, had to cut it and start again.
Re-rigged my line, had about 2 or 3 bites, hook didn't set though so I came up empty.
Tide was RIPPIN' in by about 3:30ish and before I knew it my line was along the wall and nowhere near where I had casted it, I wrapped it up around 4:15-4:30 for a few beers at Martells. 
The fish are there but I definitely recommend fishing between the tides.

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 11:03:38 PM »
Hi Soxfanjp,

First ... cool picture!

Next, the inlet is all about the tide changes. I like to fish it an hour before and after slack on the ebb and flood.

When the tide starts ripping, go down to Wills Hole (there is a park there - it is next to Spike's) and at flood, you can catch snappers and fluke. On the ebb, no need to fish there.

One other cool thing - if you can fish the west end near the fisherman memorial, you can cast out into water that is sheltered by land (a point) and fish hang out in there. Cast toward the sandbar ...

Don't underestimate going out on the rocks and throwing into the ocean (south pocket) ...

One last little secret - there are tons of blackfish on the rocks. They may not be very big but fun. Many spots are hard to explain but one is where the concrete wall meets the rocks ... if there are no divers there, throw a crab or a clam out a few feet. You will hook up! Remember, the blackfish (and sea bass "hug" the rocks) so resist the temptation to cast far.

Good luck there ... great memories!

Capt. Ed

Offline fishon42

• Super Hero Member
  • Salmon On
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 11:07:00 PM »
I am going to try that next time also Ed. Are blackfish any good eatin? Lol, i have notta clue..

Fish On
Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 11:10:50 PM »
Hi Fish On,

Yeap ... I think you get one at 14" this time of year.

If I am wrong, someone please correct me ...

Fish on - We will get you on the fish down there ... we can even teach you where to get fidn crab bait so you don't have to buy them ...

Have you thought about the Pt. Pleasant Canal? The tide is 3 hrs. or so different so you can fish the slack +/- an hour and then go to the canal and fish slack +/- hr. There are some cool moves you can make to maximize fishing time while it is in the productive zone. It was hard when we had to ride bikes to do it ... with a car ... no problem!

Good luck,

Capt. Ed

Offline fishon42

• Super Hero Member
  • Salmon On
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 11:14:46 PM »
Hey Ed,
 I have not a clue about the Canal either. How do i get there from the Inlet ? I'm not totally experienced with saltwater fishing/phrases, but I have done alot of fishing in the past. And especially do alot now. I am definitly going to try by the rocks next time for some blackfish though, cant wait for that. Wanna get the big fluke though, thats my main goal  TT^

Fish On

Offline soxfanjp

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2007, 11:29:44 AM »
I saw the people haning out by the fisherman's memorial and it looked like a good spot, I'll definitely have to try that next time.  Plus I was thinking of going out on the rocks near the pocket and fishing more on the ocean.  Sounds like there's some good spots there, just needed some help on where they are.  Thanks a lot!!

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2007, 11:11:07 PM »
Hi All,

I will meet you guys down there one day ... send me a PM when you are going next time!

Capt. Ed

Offline fishon42

• Super Hero Member
  • Salmon On
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2007, 07:52:36 AM »
Alright, will do that Ed. Thanks

TT^

Fish On

Offline jmd41

Re: Pt. Pleasant/Manasquan Today! July 12
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2007, 10:18:03 AM »
I fished the inlet Friday (the wall).  All shorts and a few sea robins.
Jim

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-