Author Topic: In NJ, move to sink lead sinkers stirs criticism - APP Article  (Read 3287 times)

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
IBSP #1-4150 NJBBA #4753 - Red 2007 Ford Explorer Sport-Trac

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
Re: In NJ, move to sink lead sinkers stirs criticism - APP Article
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 05:01:01 PM »
As I've said before, lead is some nasty stuff. :P  However, if it's true that undisturbed lead poses no threat in it's solid form (i.e. it "won't leach into the water and get into the fish"), then the bigger sinkers and jigs should be exempt.

If the problem is the ingestion of lead by waterfowl, then they should be proposing the same restrictions that are in effect for freshwater in many states. 

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 05:09:04 PM »
'Let's ban everything that makes people happy'...said the tree hugger as he pushed his leather shoe against the gas pedal of his BMW causing a puff of smoke to emit from the exhaust.  nosmly
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline nukeman

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 12:31:39 PM »
Sent a letter to Senator Melendez. Heres his response:
Dear Mr. Lewis:

Thank you for contacting me to express your opposition to a petition filed with the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) that seeks to ban lead in fishing tackle.  Your opinion is very important to me, and I appreciate the opportunity to respond to you on this important matter.

Under the provisions of the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA) of 1976, private organizations may file petitions with the EPA to regulate or ban the use of harmful chemicals. At the beginning of August 2010, the EPA received a petition that asks the agency to ban the use of lead in fishing tackle. The EPA receives hundreds of petitions each year, and is required by law to review each one and respond within 90 days.

The EPA has opened the petition for public comment under docket number EPA-HQ-OPPT-2010-0681. I take your opinion seriously and will be forwarding your comment to the EPA so that they may consider it as they go through the rulemaking process.

While I believe that we must do what we can to keep harmful chemicals such as lead away from our children and out of the food chain, I am highly sensitive to the needs of New Jersey's vibrant fishing community and want to ensure that fishermen can continue doing what they love.  Please be assured that I will keep your views in mind as the EPA's review process moves forward.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me.  Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of further assistance.  I invite you to visit my website (http://menendez.senate.gov) to learn more about how I am standing up for New Jersey families in the United States Senate.

For the latest news from Senator Menendez visit the following sites:           

Please do not reply to this e-mail as this address is not monitored. To contact my office, please use the contact form found on my website at http://menendez.senate.gov/contact/   
US Sub Vet

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 12:59:37 PM »
Blah blah blah...It would be refreshing to hear a politician with an opinion for once.  These non words are a waste of everyone's time.  That is why we are in the situation we are now in.

Lets pass it and read it later to see what it says...Dumb A$$
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline SurfNewbie

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 08:14:56 PM »
Menendez is pro online poker...but you are right they really dont give an opinion.  They just wait to see who screams the loudest
New to surf fishing...

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 02:38:30 PM »
Recreational Fishing Alliance   
Contact:  Jim Hutchinson, Jr. / 888-564-6732   For Immediate Release
November 4, 2010       

EPA DENIES PETITION SEEKING BAN ON LEAD FISHING TACKLE
RFA Members Successfully Weigh-In on Heavy-Metal Issue

(11/4/2010) The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has denied a petition calling for a ban on the manufacture, use and processing of lead in fishing gear.

In a letter to the petitioners, EPA indicated that the petitioners have not demonstrated that the requested rule is necessary to protect against an unreasonable risk of injury to health or the environment, as required by the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA). The letter further indicates that the increasing number of limitations on the use of lead fishing gear on some federal and state lands, as well as various education and outreach activities, call into question whether a national ban on lead in fishing gear would be the least burdensome, adequately protective approach to address the concern, as called for under TSCA. EPA's letter also notes that the prevalence of non-lead alternatives in the marketplace continues to increase.

"We're happy that EPA Administrator Lisa Jackson and her staff have denied this lead ban petition, there was really no justification for it to begin with," said Jim Donofrio, Executive Director of the Recreational Fishing Alliance (RFA).  "If this petition had moved forward, it could've had a devastating impact on our coastal fishing industry."

In September, RFA issued a press release calling on members to send letters to EPA Administrator Jackson asking that the lead ban petition be denied.  According to Donofrio, while there may be legitimate concerns raised by the issue of lost leadbased terminal gear used by anglers, other more reasonable approaches to minimize the introduction of lead into the marine environment should be investigated. "Calling for a sudden and complete ban on lead fishing products seems to run well beyond the intent of the original petition," Donofrio said in September. 

"RFA was happy to weigh in on behalf of the tackle industry, and we're very pleased that RFA members jumped up and wrote letters to the EPA on this important issue," Donofrio said today following the EPA's announcement.  "When the recreational anglers get active and engaged, they can beat back this frivolous anti-fishing movement, and this is clear proof."  Donofrio said such a ban would've all but eliminated the opportunity for individual anglers to make their own bucktails, sinkers and jigs at home, and would've also meant that fishermen would've had to replace much of their current tackle collections.

On August 3, 2010, the Center for Biological Diversity, American Bird Conservancy, and a number of other groups petitioned EPA under Section 21 of the Toxic Substances Control Act to "prohibit the manufacture, processing, and distribution in commerce of lead for shot, bullets, and fishing sinkers." On August 27, 2010, EPA denied the portion of the petition relating to lead in ammunition because the agency does not have the legal authority to regulate this type of product under TSCA.

View the EPA letter and additional information at: www.epa.gov/opptintr/chemtest/pubs/sect21.html

See the RFA's original news alert at:

www.joinrfa.org/Press/EPALeadBan_090410.pdf

About Recreational Fishing Alliance
The Recreational Fishing Alliance is a national, grassroots political action organization representing recreational fishermen and the recreational fishing industry on marine fisheries issues. The RFA Mission is to safeguard the rights of saltwater anglers, protect marine, boat and tackle industry jobs, and ensure the long-term sustainability of our Nation's saltwater fisheries. For more information, call 888-JOIN-RFA or visit www.joinrfa.org.

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 04:31:27 PM »
 t^

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 05:01:25 PM »
'Let's ban everything that makes people happy'...said the tree hugger as he pushed his leather shoe against the gas pedal of his BMW causing a puff of smoke to emit from the exhaust.  nosmly

We could just make our sinkers out of rainbows and unicorns Joe rofla

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 06:00:08 PM »
 rofla rofla

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 06:28:22 PM »
No ban on lead for fishing.
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency on Thursday denied a petition calling for a ban on the manufacture, use and processing of lead in fishing gear.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/outposts/2010/11/epa-denies-petition-seeking-ban-on-lead-in-fishing-gear.html

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-