Author Topic: Poachers Beware. The feds are finally getting involved  (Read 2180 times)

Offline lost sailor

Poachers Beware. The feds are finally getting involved
« on: January 10, 2011, 01:23:45 PM »
From the December 4, 2010 Baltimore Sun. All the states that have commercial bass fishing are being watched very closely with several, multi-year stings in place----NY and MA will be next. No more $150 tickets and back to poaching-----Thousands of $$ and prison terms. clp

This is a long article, but if you love striped bass, it is a must read. Spread it around. Let the poachers get wind of the risks!

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2010-12-04/sports/bs-sp-striped-bass-poaching-20101204_1_striped-bass-maryland-and-virginia-watermen-poachers
Play Time is Over.

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
Re: Poachers Beware. The feds are finally getting involved
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 02:44:47 PM »
 t^ clp

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 02:53:21 PM »
  clp clp

We need heavy fines and some time with Bubba to cut down on the illegal activities going on with this and with other issues. A smack on the wrist is nothing more than part of doing business for these guys. Pay your piddling fine and make thousands above and beyond the fines. Just think of the number of times these guys don't get caught and are able to reap in dollar upon dollar. Hit them heavy and they will think twice about doing it again.

Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline lost sailor

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 03:11:53 PM »
If they were doing this in MD and VA, they are doing it up the coast as well. I hope that this is only the beginning. NY has a tiny commercial quota, but when I am in the City on business, every restaurant has fresh striper???

For guys doing it the legal way, I applaud them. Commercial fishing is hard work. For those who poach, there cannot be too heavy of a punishment. IMO.

And guys wonder why the Chesapeake Young Of Year count and other spawning metrics have been down. They were blaming low salinity issues from development (which I am sure had some impact).  I cant even imaging the hundreds and thousands of huge cows that were slaughtered before releasing their millions of eggs. Put a net accross the river and you will catch the fish. Period. Targeting the buyers, restaurants, and poachers will hopefully deter the black-market trade of fish.
Play Time is Over.

Offline Scott G.

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 07:24:44 AM »
 t^ clp t^
Fishing, with me, has always been an excuse to drink in the daytime.

Offline lost sailor

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 10:41:09 AM »
I still cant get over this article. There were 1.63 MILLION POUNDS of illegal striped bass sold in this one poaching ring.

That equates to over 65,000 striped bass that were stolen from all of us and allowed poachers and illegal fish buyers and restaurants to profit from a resource that belongs to all.

This is only one group of poachers. I cant imagine how many more there are up and down the striped coast. What a strain on the bio-mass of stripers!

Sorry, just having a hard time letting this one go.....
Play Time is Over.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-