Author Topic: ASMFC Summer Flounder, Scup and Black Sea Bass Board to Meet February  (Read 8011 times)

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: ASMFC Summer Flounder, Scup and Black Sea Bass Board to Meet February
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2011, 03:55:51 PM »
Seems to me that we say that every year. We continue to throw back 17 1/2" fish and call them next years keepers. Then we don't see the number of 18+ fish that we would expect.  5hrug

I still like option 8 with the longest season at both ends.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Capt. Carl

• New Jersey Fishing Guru
  • Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
  • Hired Gun
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2011, 04:34:33 PM »
yeah Joe, i understand the longer season....but even in late sept, the larger fish werent around like they used to be :headscra:
up north, we could care less about an early start in May because we are bass fishing, while down south, the fluking has begun.
i saw alot of posts last year about all the 17.5 inch fish being thrown back and how it sucked. Surprised to see all the 18" support with a size reduction on the table after last years complaints.
Personally, i would like to see the fisherman go home with more meat....especially with the rising costs of tackle, bait, fuel and trip fees on party boats and charters....all i'm sayin.

Capt. Carl DiMenna
100 Ton U.S.C.G Master

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2011, 05:44:17 PM »
yeah Joe, i understand the longer season....but even in late sept, the larger fish werent around like they used to be :headscra: t^
up north, we could care less about an early start in May because we are bass fishing, while down south, the fluking has begun.
i saw alot of posts last year about all the 17.5 inch fish being thrown back and how it sucked. Surprised to see all the 18" support with a size reduction on the table after last years complaints.
Personally, i would like to see the fisherman go home with more meat....especially with the rising costs of tackle, bait, fuel and trip fees on party boats and charters....all i'm sayin.

Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2011, 07:05:18 PM »

Plain fact that the Southern Portion of the State starts better fishing earlier, and historically the Northern part of the state has better fishing a tad later.

So unless they were to do a split in the state we must seek out a season/ bag limit that will be better for all.

A 6 fish Limit at 17.5 would be a good compromise looking at it both from a Charter Capt and a Recreational fisherman.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2011, 08:31:28 PM »
SLOT!!

"All Fish Are The Same Size On the End Of Your Fork"  t^

Offline CaptTB

• SSFFF
  • Sponsor
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2011, 08:09:02 AM »
Option #8.

First we need to get a reasonable season back. This one does that, and gives time to the Bay fishermen north and south early and the ocean fishermen later into the season (not that you can't get fish in both areas at the same time, but those who fluke fish know what I am talking about)

Next we need to get back to a somewhat reasonable size limit if the quota allows it. We will have to wait and see what the quota continues to do over the next couple years.

The slot options scare the shyt out of me, because I know how both the fishery and the fisheries management systems work.

No one would like a slot fish or some form of a keepable size fish (if there is such a word) than I. Hell, I cut my teeth in fisheries management over a decade ago going to the MAFMC with Dusty Rhodes to talk to one of the committees (that no longer exists) about doing what the Demersal committee would not: Look into, amongst other things, a slot fish. I was part of the organizing team of the only slot fish test done for fluke in the recreational fishery.

I also know that under the current system and with the available quota it has a very good chance of becoming a disaster.

Option #8.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2011, 09:09:28 AM »
Very Well said t^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-