Author Topic: The Death of the Delaware River  (Read 1670 times)

Offline Bass Chasers

• Delaware River Guide
    • Bass Chasers Charters
The Death of the Delaware River
« on: May 20, 2011, 11:53:49 AM »
Has anyone Else notice the Cormorants this Season? I remember a day in April where I watched one Cormorant eat 9 herring in a row. He dove down and found a herring came to the surface and ate the Herring. These are the same herring that they are trying to restrict us the fishermen who live in this country from fishing for. Cormorants are not native to this land and they are an invasive species. We first started seeing them down the shore about 10 years ago. Their numbers have explode so much that are traveling inland and attack our river systems. They eat all our smallmouth bass, perch, baby stripers, herring, you name it they eat it. They will devastate our eco system in less then two years if we continue to allow them them to rape our fisheries.

This year on Easter I was fishing the lower river in the morning and I counted over 700 Cormorants in flight heading to Trenton. When I got up to Trenton the next day or so I saw over 400 of them on the Island, another 300 in the trees on the island by the falls, about 12 on every rock, and below the Bridges I saw about 70 of them in the water eating our Herring. How long will we allow the states to regulate us when they have no idea what is going on in the eco system. How many times Have you encountered a game warden. I did once in 28 years at Penny Pack Park on opening day of Trout. They are not in the field and have no idea whats going on!

I am going to do some simple math for you 400 Cormorants eating 7 Herring in an hour equals 2,800 Herring now multiply that along the whole river and by at least 40 days (how long you can catch herring in the river) and the number is devastating!!!!
Drop me a line if you have any Questions.
Bass Chasers Charters
www.DelawareRiverBass.com

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
Re: The Death of the Delaware River
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 03:28:13 PM »
nice tin boat

Offline bayonne

Re: The Death of the Delaware River
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 09:29:05 PM »
some lakes i fish are so loaded with them they eat stocked trout like candy they should be poisned to control them

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-