Author Topic: Gulf of Mexico Florida Middle Grounds...The, "Good Old Days" are now!  (Read 4650 times)

Offline harbison

• Super Hero Member
Just returned from the latest Florida Fisherman 11, Hubbard's Marina, Madeira Beach Florida, assault on the fabulous Florida Middle Grounds. I say fabulous because, after over thirty years of Middle Grounds experience, I can tell you, first hand, that our Middle Grounds' fishing is better now than at any time during the last thirty years. The, "Good Old Days" are now! Regardless of what we are being told, our Gulf of Mexico is a sportsman's paradise, loaded with fish. Our hundreds of miles of white sandy beaches are second to none. Our version of the Gulf of Mexico is a giant play pin for one and all. And, for the fisherman, be it from near the beach, or deep sea, the catch of a like time awaits the serious angles. So much to see and do.
The excitement begins long before boarding the Florida Fisherman. The John's Pass Board Walk, is a world class attraction for tourist and natives alike. In continuing with tradition, there is even a pirate ship, and hundreds of shops specializing in everything from the sea. And the restaurants are second to none, talk about fresh sea food! I always arrive a few hours early just to take in the sights, they are that good!
And now to our trip:
Before boarding the Florida for our thirty nine hour marathon adventure deep into the heart of the Florida Middle Grounds, we relax in a very comfortable lounge. Excitement builds as we discuss trips of the past and expectations for the future. Before most of us board, many of our serious regulars, such as our own Tennessee Dave, catch live pin fish for bait. This time around Dave uses a trap to catch small pins for snapper. Dave has quite a trip planned. No way was he going to travel all the way to the Grounds, ( a 100 + mile trip) without wetting a line. The answer, troll for kings, mackerel, and bonito. And, of yes! Our Forum friend "Navy Fisherman" caught & sampled some, straight out of the Gulf, sushi bonito, talk about fresh. The, "Navy Fisherman" ended up with one heck of a catch.
Our Captain, Captain Mark Hubbard, owner of Hubbard's Marina, decided to take the sold out Florida Fisherman 11 deep into the heart of the Middle Grounds. This place is seldom fished, in fact, I only say one other boat all day long.
After trolling for a few hours, Tammy, our resident chef, served a dinner of sausage and peppers, Wow! We were in heaven. Time to hit the sack. It was so cool that we had to use a blanket. Early Saturday morning, Captain Hubbard sounded the alarm, Go get them! And that we did! Never really fast, but steady, Our night time target, the elusive mangrove snapper were hungry and we aimed to oblige. We offered them a dinner of threat fin herring. Boy were they thankful. In fact, they were so obliging that we completely filled the first of the Florida's three huge fish boxes long before the sun came up; and this was just the start. As the sun came up the class act of the Gulf of Mexico, the American Red Snapper, took over. Sure the mangos, vermilion snapper, Amber Jacks, and grouper, were also hungry. But there was just no way the American Reds were going to be out done. In fact, after the 48 anglers on board caught their two day limits of Reds, it was often, as hard as Captain Hubbard tried, to get away from them, they were on every ledge. Nevertheless, we managed to catch an enormous number of gag grouper (just wait until gag season opens...we are ready for them), many jacks, red grouper, and the largest porgy I have ever seen. In fact, we kept the three mates on the Florida busy for like twenty straight hours. One of the biggest American Red Snapper was caught Saturday afternoon by Mister Kevin Underwood. Kevin is a young muscular man, a man beat down by this monster fish. What a battle. But this time around, differently from many monster attacks, Kevin won. He was so proud, and tired. Talking about big fish. Andy, our regular jack pot winner, caught the biggest porgy I have ever seen. Will, one of our trusted mates, was so amazed that he showed off this monster from one end of the Florida to the other. In my
thirty + years of fishing the grounds, I have seen some large porgies, but nothing like this.
Time for dinner. We were hungry & fished out, so what does Tammy do? Nothing out of the ordinary for this chef. First a large, very fresh, garden salad, and then the show stopper, a two inch thick slice of the best pork loin imaginable, with all the trimmings; topped off with a cherry cake. We were stuffed to the gill, and then some. Still a couple more hours of evening fishing. The mangos, reds, and grouper were still hungry. Just before nine P. M. Captain Hubbard announced that it was time to begin the long run back to John's Pass. Our log book indicated around 800 mangos, and 175 American Red Snapper, were heavily iced and ready for the trip home. Some of us managed enough energy for a quick shower, then those comfortable bunks. Next thing we knew, Captain Hubbard was blowing the horn for the opening of John's Pass Bridge. We were home. I can't wait until next week, when we do it all over again. After all, the Middle Grounds fishing is better now than at any time during the last thirty years. The, "Good Old Days are Now!" Excitement is already building for our next trip to the Grounds. Anybody care to battle some real fighters? Join us!
Bob Harbison, Native Florida Recreational Fisherman, and proud of it!
Getting ready to go:

The Florida Fisherman overlooks the John's Pass Board Walk & Pirate ship:

The Florida Fisherman 11 is ready to go:

Tennessee Dave catches pin fish

We are ready:

Thousands enjoy Florida's hundreds of miles of white sandy beaches What a show as we depart:

"Tennessee Dave" shows us how to troll:

"Navy Fisherman" enjoys fresh as it comes sushi, bonito style. He caught this one:

One box full before the sun comes up:

American Red Snapper ready for the gaff

Mister Kevin Underwood and his monster ARS

Will & a giant porgy

A very proud Mister Tony Baker (L) & Captain Mark Hubbard

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-