Author Topic: Paramount Tuesday Deepwater  (Read 1329 times)

Offline tautog73

Paramount Tuesday Deepwater
« on: June 28, 2011, 06:42:40 PM »
Went out to the deep again with around 45 anglers for some ling and cod action.  Right away I was concerned because there was not a breath of wind rather than the 15 SE I was expecting.  We hit 4 spots in 130-230 ft.  When you were on a spot there was good action but it was hard to keep a 100 ft on the pieces with no wind and a hard tide that kept everything going under the boat.  Overall, those who knew how to fish the deep did well, but we had lots of newbies, many of whom kept using 8oz on 40lb mono with those silly metal spreader rigs that helicopter around everyone's line, where I was using 14oz on braid.  I wound up with 2 23" keeper cod, 12 ling and a sea bass and this was not an extraordinary catch.  About half the ling were over 3lbs and 2 of mine may have been bigger than my cod.  Bow was hot with cod for most of the day while my area was more ling and short cod.  Pool was an 8lb cod and there group of 5 including some teen anglers had 6 keeper cod and 38 ling.  Another guy I spoke to had 1 cod and 20 ling.   Several guys had 3 or even 4 keeper cod.  Father and son next to me had a keeper cod, a few shorts and a few ling but they had never been sea fishing before so they had a big learning curve but were eager to listen.  Son got a nice 5lb cod right after I rerigged him.  We would have done much better with good conditions and a little common sense by some.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Paramount Tuesday Deepwater
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 09:49:18 PM »
Sounds like you had a half decent catch considering the conditions. Thanks for the report.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline CodJay

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 10:39:51 PM »
Nice report. I was thinking of heading down Friday, afraid of them being railed.  cfzd
"For the rich there is therapy for the rest of us there is fishing"

Offline tautog73

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 11:06:03 PM »
I wouldn't go on Friday, big crowd plus too much inshore fishing which is still well below par.  I love sea bassing but will stick with deepwater until things change.

Offline CodJay

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 11:11:48 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I guess Paramount is a no go for Friday. Seabass has been very slow pick, I'm hoping it picks up soon.
"For the rich there is therapy for the rest of us there is fishing"

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-