Author Topic: Fishing & hunting in Florida  (Read 2672 times)

Offline harbison

• Super Hero Member
Fishing & hunting in Florida
« on: August 14, 2011, 04:19:38 PM »
It has been a very busy week. Unfortunately, to date I have not been able to harvest a hog fish. As a result, I decided to channel my efforts in the direction of the four legged variety. My trip to Tiger Island Outfitters proved to be a great success. I wanted a couple of grilling size, 40-70 pound little porkers. They proved to be pretty easy to get. But then, this 175 pound monster tried to prove that he was better than me. It took me two days, but I finally outwitted him. My Ruger # 1, chambered in 45/70, took that grin off his face. After that, it was off to Hubbard's Marina for a 39 hour marathon trip deep into the heart of the Florida middle Grounds.
I arrived at the Marina a couple of hours early. The sights and sounds or the John's Pass Boardwalk are, even after thirty + years, still as fascinating as ever. I was starving. Joey, Hubbard's Marina, told me that a place called, "Noah's Arc," far East end of the Boardwalk, had fantastic food. Why not! The view from the Arc is breathtaking, but, guess what, the food is even better. Thank you Joey. Being a hot dog lover, I felt compelled to try Big Fish Dave's Beer battered Hot Dog. Great! does not adequately describe this 1/4 lb. premium hot dog, covered in a very special dark beer & cayenne pepper batter, and fried to perfection. The accompanying onion ring was every bit as good as the dog. I was thirsty. The raspberry tea sounded really great; however, I decided to try something as different as Dave's dog, birch beer. What a change of pace, similar to root beer, only a lot better. I will be back!
OK! it is now approaching 3 P.M., Most of the 20 + anglers had already boarded the Florida Fisherman. The excitement level was off the chart. Let's go! And that we did. Captain Mark Hubbard guided the Florida Fisherman under John's Pass Bridge. This time we would be fishing deep into the very heart of the Gulf of Mexico. We were looking at both the elbow, the elbow known for huge fish, and the Southern end of the Florida Middle Grounds. Since the ever abundant American Red Snapper, and gag grouper, are out of season, we will be looking for mutton & vermillion snapper, as well as scamp grouper. That very special 1/4 dog did a number on me; however, when Tammy serves her special Tammy burger, no one can resist. What a life! Time to hit the bunks. Sure glad I brought my cover, it was needed.
Our first stop was early, like 11:30 P.M. Friday evening. Not much going on; in fact, it was pretty slow for the remainder of the night. We were fishing the night of the full moon,. traditionally a pretty slow time. Next month, September, the full moon is on the 12'th. We will be leaving Friday the 16'th. not only a few days after the full of the moon, but gag grouper will be open. In October, the full moon is on the 11'th. Sure am glad I am booked for both October 7, & 14. November full moon is on the 10'th. We will be fishing Saturday the 12'th. We have some really great fishing coming up. And, in addition, this just came across my desk:
Gulf of Mexico Red Snapper Quota Increases

"NOAA Fisheries Service will publish an emergency rule in the Federal Register on August 12, 2011, effective September 12, 2011. The emergency rule increases the recreational red snapper quota by 345,000 pounds for the 2011 fishing year and provides the agency with the authority to re-open the recreational red snapper season later this year."
And now, back to the business at hand, this trip:
Craig, a Hubbard's regular, really put a good old Southern hurting on some deep water, delicious eating vermillion snapper (B Liners). They were big. Craig even caught a black grouper, we see very few of them.
Those fishing for B liners, and porgies really cleaned up using multi hook, "Chicken rigs." Often two or three at a time were caught. We caught some really impressive red grouper. Mister Dan Gossner was really proud of his big red. We were all so happy for him. Mister Eric Rumore specialized in big gag grouper. Come September 15, Eric will be back; can you blame him? The grounds are loaded with gags.
We kept James, one of our professional mates, busy all afternoon gaffing huge fighting Amber jacks. What a job! Eric sure did his part to keep James busy.
A look at the Florida's fish finder, even on flat bottom, proved the Grounds to be a fisherman's paradise. Wake up NOAA and smell the roses.
We did, even in 200 + feet of water, manage to catch some very impressive mangrove snapper. Mister Ronnie Millsaps was as proud as he could possibly be of his Grounds sized mango; who wouldn't be? Will, not our mate Will, also caught some extremely nice mangos; that is, the ones he could keep away from the toothy critters known as barracuda. These darn cuddas were also attacking our king fish.
I am still trying to figure out which was the most exciting: bagging a trophy very wild boar, catching (venting & releasing) huge American red snapper, boy I caught some beauties, or catching my first ever mutton snapper. Looks like more testing is needed! Please learn how to properly vent & release fish. This procedure is so important.
Lunch time, Tammy even makes a hot dog sound very special, what a meal! Think I will have another next time around, August 26, I can't wait. We will, once again be fishing 200-250 feet of water, looking for scamp & muttons. Speaking of muttons, mates Will & Vince love to show off our catch. I think they were every bit as proud as we were. Will took special interest in our beautiful scamp grouper, what a trophy! Vince was thrilled with our king fish, me too!
Finally, our catch. And remember, this is without a boat load of American Red Snapper. We, once again, had a difficult time trying to get away from the American reds. Hopefully, NOAA will do the right thing.
Finally, the best part of fishing & hunting, the eating. On my table top Weber electric grill, I grilled both fish & ribs. Oh! Did that smoldering oak wood add to the flavor. A word of caution...don't even try this gourmet meal if you do not want to become hooked. Oh well, time to grill again. Join me!
Craig shows off Grounds B Liner & black grouper:

What a "Chicken Rig" can do:

Dan Gossner shows off a Grounds red grouper:

Eric Rumore and a big gag:

The gaffing of an AJ. James sure knows his business:

Eric shows of his fighting AJ:

Look at those fish:

Ronnie Millsaps and his Grounds size mango:

Will shows off a Grounds size mango, and mango after a cuda attack:

James, my great guide, my four legged hog, me and my ARS:

How to properly vent a reef fish:

Lunch time:

Mates Will & Vince are proud of our muttons:

Will & James show Grounds scamp:

Vince shows Grounds king fish:

Fine catch, minus a boat load of ARS:

The best part of fishing & hunting:

Offline harbison

• Super Hero Member
Re: Fishing & hunting in Florida
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 12:43:35 PM »
 clp

Gosh guys! I am still having a very difficult time trying to decide if I like mutton snapper better deep fried, with hush puppies & potato salad, or cooked on the grill with hickory chips. Looks like more test are needed. On August 26, we will, once again, be fishing 225-250 feet of water. We will be targeting muttons and scamp. I will run more test. Bob

« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 05:22:52 PM by harbison »

Offline Offshore Madness

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 02:18:58 PM »
 clp clp clp  excellent pictures....Im hungry now goin to eat some fluke . chrz
Why does it Matter to you? cause I could careless.........

Offline harbison

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 10:13:01 PM »
 chrz
I am sure you guys in NJ have excellent fishing also. I would love to try a fluke. Presume they are similar to our flounder?  Would love to se some pictures.  Bob

Offline Offshore Madness

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 10:39:50 PM »
We do have great fishing up here and like you want to get to see what other Capts. are up to in other states the fish they catch and so on...

Right now our fluke fishing is in full swing near sandy hook nj.
 The offshore bluefin tuna run is even better.

Im a not a party boat or charter boat(we catch our share tho)  we take our boat about 12 miles offshore and fish every chance we get usually 2-3 days a week some times more! if you cruze through this site you can find a bunch of pictures from other capts. here are a few pics our ours
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 10:54:10 PM by offshore madness »
Why does it Matter to you? cause I could careless.........

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-