Author Topic: Waders - SOB  (Read 3124 times)

Offline wimpy

Waders - SOB
« on: October 10, 2011, 07:25:09 AM »
Long story short-Boot top tore away from 5mm neoprene waders. Know from exp. repair won't take on that area. Have a pair of rubber trappers roughly same top dia and couple inch's taller. Plan-remove ext boots and replace with trappers. Rough up rubber surface and use Aqua Seal (have about a 2'' overlay)on boot with neoprene on outside of boot, then overcoat outer seam. Couldn't happen after season fcp go figure! Need them only couple more trips till Santy brings new ones. Has Anyone ever tried or can chime in on their massive repairs, would appreciate. Thanks.

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
Re: Waders - SOB
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 08:44:02 AM »
I know the feeling.  My Hodgeman neoprenes are leaking like crazy.  Coming off the beach with bootfuls of water on Saturday.   rgmn 
IBSP #1-4150 NJBBA #4753 - Red 2007 Ford Explorer Sport-Trac

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 09:54:41 AM »
small repairs, maybe

massive repairs- you will be wet  nosmly

perhaps Santy can come early this year?

Offline wimpy

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 12:07:40 PM »
Santy did come early-to daughters collages- Has anyone used PlastiDip on Waders/Neoprene

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 12:12:56 PM »
I was thinking about trying that rubber spray can stuff they sell on TV.  You know, the one where they replace the bottom of a boat with a screen door sprayed with this stuff.   5hrug

Offline Offshore Madness

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 12:37:50 PM »
 whs some one i know got that stuff he said it works pretty well....Not sure what he used it on...
Why does it Matter to you? cause I could careless.........

Offline rycher

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 05:48:19 PM »
Ive used a product called Aquamend putty for lots of repairs, swimmin pool(vinyl) toilet tank etc. Grips great, u can mold it. Sold at Home D. in paint dept. Not sure it would work for you but for 5 bucks worth a shot. NOT flexible after cured, dries like a rock.

Whats usual 'life' of waders? I am about to invest in my first pair. Was considering Hodgeman.
"...knowledge, is it worth such torment..."

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 08:21:17 PM »
I've had my hodge neoprenes for 6 years there still water tight thanks to clear silicone
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 10:00:18 PM »
Mine are also a good number of years old.  They have served me well and would purchase them again.

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 11:34:55 PM »
Not bad really.  If you fish a lot and get more than a year out of your waders you are ahead of the game. t^

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 09:56:11 AM »
Good luck with the repair.  It is not going to be easy and may take some trial and error.  Even in knee deep water, there is a lot of water pressure that the repair would have to hold up to!

I have a pair of neoprene waders from my teens that are about 16 or 17 years old.  Still work great.  Not one leak, no dry rotting...only thing is the insides are a bit worn.  I always wash them and air dry them before putting them away in a rubbermaid bin.  I think they are Red Ball or Hodgman?  Even though they are in great condition for their age, I hate them.

Shows you how much I fish rgmn rgmn fcp ;D!

TT^

Offline Noworries2009

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 08:56:35 PM »
Not bad really.  If you fish a lot and get more than a year out of your waders you are ahead of the game. t^
That has been my experience too !! Especially the breathables are good for only a year. I have never bought real expensive ones (Prolines).I bought a pair of breathable stocking foot type this year from LL Bean. So far so good. ;D I fish alot and have neoprenes and breathables.It's definitely time to put on the boots.

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 11:31:27 PM »
At the end of last season I hosed off my breathables let them dry and wiped the boots down with wd40 then but them in a rubbermade bin with a cople hand fulls of rice.
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2011, 12:21:47 PM »
Al, why rice?  Wouldn't that promote dry-rotting? 

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2011, 05:29:28 PM »
Well I figured when you buy waiders the have them crystal packs in the box to absorb the moister so I figured it must be good to keep them dry

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-