Author Topic: Black Friday at Manasquan (You Tube)  (Read 1520 times)

Offline dreamsfloatjoe

• Bait Cutter
  • Bait Cutter
    • Anchors Aweigh Charters, Inc.
Black Friday at Manasquan (You Tube)
« on: April 12, 2012, 10:51:26 AM »
 grtn  A Power Squadron training video from 1938.  No sound.  Click >  http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5kZPgHWuuQg   slt

DreamsFloat Joe - Mate
M/V Ye Ole Pirate, Anchors Aweigh Charters, Inc.
Fernandina Beach Harbor Marina, Amelia Island, Florida  32034  USA

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
    • SafeTec Training Services
Re: Black Friday at Manasquan (You Tube)
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 11:44:36 AM »
Was that the "Andy's Delight"???

Fred, fishing the "Kristy Marie" from Manasquan River Club. Channels 16/67/68.

Offline Andys Delight

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 12:54:29 PM »

It was certainly relative considering my boat is smaller and the waves were smaller than that, but the situation was the same.  Big Al and I were in a strong following sea with breaking waves.  I was doing my best to maintain the boat on the back side of a wave, but could feel the following wave pushing at my stern and wanting to get me sideways and being it was quite dark it was tough to really see each wave coming and going.  I did quite a bit of throttle maneuvering to keep control of the boat and I admit there were a couple times where the current and waves were winning. 

I will say this, I was very proud of how I handled that situation.  I didn't really have time to be nervous.  My one fault looking back is I should have had Al and I put life vests on for that trip in.  We were so quick to get moving as the conditions worsened that I was more focused on getting in.  It did cross my mind as we were going but I did not want to bring the boat to a stop.  Thankfully we made it to port safely, but god forbid one wave hit us the wrong way we could have been in some serious danger.  It's best we learn from our experiences, even when they go well.
The cure for everything is salt water: sweat, tears, and the sea.

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
    • SafeTec Training Services
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 12:57:37 PM »

It was certainly relative considering my boat is smaller and the waves were smaller than that, but the situation was the same.  Big Al and I were in a strong following sea with breaking waves.  I was doing my best to maintain the boat on the back side of a wave, but could feel the following wave pushing at my stern and wanting to get me sideways and being it was quite dark it was tough to really see each wave coming and going.  I did quite a bit of throttle maneuvering to keep control of the boat and I admit there were a couple times where the current and waves were winning. 

I will say this, I was very proud of how I handled that situation.  I didn't really have time to be nervous.  My one fault looking back is I should have had Al and I put life vests on for that trip in.  We were so quick to get moving as the conditions worsened that I was more focused on getting in.  It did cross my mind as we were going but I did not want to bring the boat to a stop.  Thankfully we made it to port safely, but god forbid one wave hit us the wrong way we could have been in some serious danger.  It's best we learn from our experiences, even when they go well.

You guys did GREAT! Isn't it funny how sometimes you're nervous as hell and other times there's just no time for it? You got to love your body's sympathetic nervous system for our "flight or fight" response!

Fred, fishing the "Kristy Marie" from Manasquan River Club. Channels 16/67/68.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-