Author Topic: Fished around the world  (Read 1146 times)

Offline overbite

• Super Hero Member
Fished around the world
« on: July 14, 2012, 02:00:31 PM »
 clp The boat in the photo was my home for 2 years, Home port New York. It went to Norfolk,Va thru The Med. Suez, Indian Ocean, Persian Gulf, Red Sea, and back in one year to New York. slt I would list the ports but would not know how to spell most. Then to Key West, St. Thomas. Miami port everglades, back to New York and made a visit to Ice Land and back to New York, where I was Discharged. When I left NY I had a lot of fishing gear with me and picked up a lot on the way. I may say a lot of very different stuff compared to the US. try to tie a hook on your line with no Eye it had a flattened triangle instead of a eye. ( Spain )for one. Caught fish From Sardines to Sharks and many in between, one that stands out was the salt water Cat fish in the Persian Gulf some up to 75 lb at first The Doc. thought they may not be fit to eat since there was little or no vegetation on the gulf floor. but after testing they were ok, and were a hit in the galley when the Rebel mess cooks fried them up in chunks in corn meal. Tuna also was cooked up, ever troll behind a ship  cfzd we used feather lures the Navy removed from the life rafts since fish make you drink water t^ we learned to put the line thru a 12 " ring  and when a skip jack hit one would run down the Main deck with the line in the ring to keep the fish skipping on top of the water and wake of the ship or they would dive and get torn off. We fished every chance we had which was a lot. in every port and at sea. But Ice land was a bit harder for salmon
and cod. Oh and at night when we anchored be it the gulf or where ever The ship had lights trained to the water all around the ship for security  cfzd The bait fish and sharks and you name it would gather for feasting we saw it all but to fish then a shark would grab the fish before you cold land it but some giant sharks were hooked but never boated rules of the ship slt aye aye Captain he was great but never fished with us but would come and eye us often. And I still have the Rods and reels I used, 1958-59. Hope you enjoyed the story as I enjoyed typing it  chrz chrz Bill 

Offline fluke - u

• Super Hero Member
  • Owner @ Fluke-U Charters
Re: Fished around the world
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 06:03:21 PM »
 t^...Thanks for sharing that piece of history...... chrz
I support our sponsors !
Success is getting what you want.
Happiness is wanting what you get.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-