Author Topic: Inshore Mahi  (Read 1751 times)

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
    • SafeTec Training Services
Inshore Mahi
« on: September 06, 2012, 07:25:58 PM »
So, other than the lobster pots of the Mud Hole or Monster's Ledge are there any other good inshore areas for Mahi? I got my new Sterling Tackle spreader bar and feather chains from Rod and I want to use them!!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 07:54:59 PM by Hotrod »

Fred, fishing the "Kristy Marie" from Manasquan River Club. Channels 16/67/68.

Offline FishOn

Re: Inshore Mahi
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 09:25:48 PM »
We've caught them as close inshore as the garden state north reef which has some higher profile wrecks and marker bouys to show where te wrecks are. Typically though I like to troll or chum the ridges with fresh spearing, but the ridges seem to be taking a beating by the draggers. The high points are less pronounced than years ago.  They are by far my favorite fish to catch and eat since even little ones put up one hell of a fight.  Last time we got into them I was not expecting it at all. We were bucktailing fluke in 70' and I got slammed by one as I was reeling up. We put out a mini spread of tsunaimi squids and boxed another and lost a third. These were 5-10lb fish on light gear. I'll also note that this particular day was unusual. It was July and on the way out bluefin tuna were blasting little butterfish right along the beach. We approached with snags thinking these were bass for sure. By the time we changed gears they were gone. When we got to the wreck there were at least a half dozen leather back turtle hanging around and a couple unidentified sharks cruising the surface. It was a scene out of the Hudson canyon only 4 miles off the beach.
Who are you to judge the life I live? I'm not perfect and I don't have to be! Before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean. - Bob Marley

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
    • SafeTec Training Services
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 12:19:40 AM »
We've caught them as close inshore as the garden state north reef which has some higher profile wrecks and marker bouys to show where te wrecks are. Typically though I like to troll or chum the ridges with fresh spearing, but the ridges seem to be taking a beating by the draggers. The high points are less pronounced than years ago.  They are by far my favorite fish to catch and eat since even little ones put up one hell of a fight.  Last time we got into them I was not expecting it at all. We were bucktailing fluke in 70' and I got slammed by one as I was reeling up. We put out a mini spread of tsunaimi squids and boxed another and lost a third. These were 5-10lb fish on light gear. I'll also note that this particular day was unusual. It was July and on the way out bluefin tuna were blasting little butterfish right along the beach. We approached with snags thinking these were bass for sure. By the time we changed gears they were gone. When we got to the wreck there were at least a half dozen leather back turtle hanging around and a couple unidentified sharks cruising the surface. It was a scene out of the Hudson canyon only 4 miles off the beach.

Nice day. Garden State North is closer to Little Egg right?

Fred, fishing the "Kristy Marie" from Manasquan River Club. Channels 16/67/68.

Offline FishOn

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 02:04:16 AM »
~9 miles south of BI. But you have plenty of oppurtunity on any structure. If you get a couple days of east or NE wind followed by a day or two of light west you should get some clean blue water well within your range.  I think the mahi I mentioned above were following those big turtles in some nice water that came close to shore.
Who are you to judge the life I live? I'm not perfect and I don't have to be! Before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean. - Bob Marley

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-