Author Topic: water intrusion  (Read 5281 times)

Offline Baitwaster

water intrusion
« on: September 23, 2012, 08:52:40 AM »
Went out yesterday and while in the inlet at about 2000 rpm the motor popped, backfired and shut down.Tried to start it back up and it was like it was seized. after being towed back in by Seatow for the second time rgmn got to the dock and found that the cylinders were full of water. Doesn't make sense 5hrug Could enough water be in the fuel to cause that? Or could water get in through the exhaust while under power? This is the second time this has happened. I dry it out then it runs like a clock for about two hours then it happens again. It's a V6 stern drive with no work done to it like cams or any performance stuff. I did put a set of aluminum exhaust manifolds and risers on it this season maybe they were made in China? Any thought's? The water was in all six cylinders and that kinda tells me that it's in the fuel but would the carb allow that much water in the motor that fast? I'm talking two seconds!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 09:02:13 AM by Baitwaster »

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
Re: water intrusion
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 09:54:06 AM »
did you look in the fuel filter. pour it into a clear vessel and see ih theres any water. if it were a riser problem i wouldnt think they both would fail simotaneously
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline Baitwaster

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 12:00:30 PM »
I'm starting to think exhaust shutters. the inlet was really snotty, but would both fail at the same time while running? What are the odds of that? It's an intermittent problem so I'm ruling out head gaskets and a cracked block this would be a constant problem then and would both go bad on both sides simultaneously? Guess it's time to put the original exhaust parts back on with a set of new flappers 5hrug
At least I got Seatow now Thank God  nosmly

Offline Baitwaster

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 12:06:42 PM »
My buddy says.."I'll throw the anchor" and I say "dont throw it yet were drifting fast towards the bay" the wind was blowing hard out of the south and next thing I know were against the south end of LBI beached and it was ugly!! So the whole time were are waiting for Seatow and the tide is going out I gotta hear Don't throw it yet! smk

Offline Baitwaster

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 12:11:54 PM »
@ BigAl Thanks. Like half a of a teaspoon of water that's it. No way the carb would let that much water in in that short a period of time. I keep thinking exhaust. I'm waiting for some more opinions from some other people with knowledge of inboards. I'm skunked at this point 5hrug

Offline Baitwaster

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 12:19:46 PM »
BTW When we got back to the dock I pulled the plugs, dried it out and sure enough it's back to running great. smooth idle and all. Click broommmm. I'm afraid to go back out without figuring it out. I'm sure Seatow hopes I do too! I'm suprized he was able to pull me off the sand. Thought I'd get to see thunderstorms in the inlet for the first time. At one point the boat listed so far over I thought it was gone! cfzd on a lighter note I did get to go on the beach and in the ocean.. The stero still worked good and I even had a few beers left for the tow back rofla hhppy my buddy BadTom even collected a few sea shells smk
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 12:54:38 PM by Baitwaster »

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 01:11:04 PM »
what type of cooling system do you have it may be the shutters but the force of the exhaust should push the water back. and if it were them i think you would have this issue constantly.
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline Baitwaster

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 01:18:47 PM »
Raw sea water.

Offline sealife

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 02:14:35 PM »
Did you back up at all?  That can force water into the exhaust system.  Also on some risers if the engine does not start right away the water can back up into the exhaust side.  You need to figure it out before you trash an engine.  Buddy of mine took the mufflers off his boat since they were leaking and he trashed a two motors before we convinced him to put mufflers back on it.

Offline Baitwaster

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2012, 02:31:51 PM »
No. I didn't back up at all. The motor was running fine as we were coming back through the inlet cause it was too rough out there for my liking. Then it just shut down in like two seconds.

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2012, 02:43:53 PM »
Good luck with this.  Don't worry about he seatow Captain. He's getting paid for every tow plus extra to unground your boat.
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Baitwaster

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2012, 03:26:59 PM »
Good luck with this.  Don't worry about he seatow Captain. He's getting paid for every tow plus extra to unground your boat.

I gave him a $20 dollar tip chrz

Offline Maritime Matt

• Sponsor
  • Maritime Skiff 20' Pioneer Pilothouse USCG Lic
    • TASKMARINE.COM
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 09:28:51 AM »
Your lucky you did'nt bend a connecting rod. That motor was just totally gone over, correct?  Water can't compress. If I remember, this boat originally had a V-8 in it. Does this V-6 sit lower in the boat? The shutters are mainly there when backing down and launching. Is your exhaust still through the outdrive? What about engine timing? If you run it on a set of muffs are you still getting water?

WWW.TASKMARINE.COM     Marine SERVICE, Parts & More

Offline intili61

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 12:54:09 PM »
Pull the risers and exhaust manifolds, this is common, gaskets and cast iron fail with time. My mercruiser failed 6 mos. after the 3 year warranty!

Offline Baitwaster

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2012, 10:34:21 PM »
Thanks Matt. I did put a set of aluminum mans. and risers on it this season but they were exactly the same as the V8. And the V6. Is exactly the same as the V8 just two less cylinders. There is no difference in height. At this point I'm just gonna put the original cast iron kit back in it with a new set of flappers and go chasing the stripers. And hope not to wind up against the south end of Holgate with the wind pushing north thud That just sucked!

Offline Baitwaster

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2012, 10:38:25 PM »
Thanks In61! That's the plan for now. I'm thinking that aluminum made in China might have caused me a lot of headaches! I know that boats are gonna be a pain in the a** But REALLY? For the love of God! hhppy

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-