Author Topic: My daughters first hog hunt  (Read 2686 times)

Offline harbison

• Super Hero Member
My daughters first hog hunt
« on: October 25, 2012, 02:48:51 PM »
 clp    Not many sports offer the excitement, challenge, of perusing one of the smartest animals in the forest, the Florida wild hog. This monster comes equipped with the nose of a blood hound, razor sharp teeth, and an attitude, all bad. We are in his woods, his domain, and, guess what? We are definitely not welcome. Hunt me if you will, but I will outsmart you! Now that sounds like a challenge to me. Man, and woman, against beast, against the nose. This is going to be a fight for supremacy, for honor, for dignity. Who is smarter, better equipped, more at home? Only one way to find out.
My daughter, Dee, loves nothing better than a good old Southern challenge. Daddy, those hog's can't really be that smart. They forget, 'I am woman!' I want to see for myself. A quick call to Tracy & Crichton Allan, owners of Tiger Island Outfitters, and we are ready to go, ready to challenge the beast, this so called smartest animal in the forest. The Allan's are both Florida natives. Southern hospitality is a way of life for them. Dee will feel right at home.
After a short drive from Tampa, we arrive at a place called Otter Creek. Talk about the Old South, this is it. Otter Creek is a short distance from Cedar Key. Like sea food, Cedar Key is the place to be. I never knew blue crab chowder could be so good. This is Florida as I remember it fifty years ago. Oh no! Look Dee, a real old time Country store. Hershel's is, was, Florida. No trip to Tiger Island would be complete without first visiting this part of our history, our heritage. Hershel founded this quaint little store many years ago. Now, Liz, Hershel's daughter, owns and runs this throw-back to yester-year. We are hungry. Liz, any recommendations? I want something different. How about conch nuggets, or a real smoked mullet? We make our own BBQ pork, it's special! That's it! I'll also take an order of those special Hershel fries and an I B C root beer. Dee can't pass up that huge, all the way, burger. fried green tomatoes, and an I B C. I want a pound of alligator meat to take home with me. Now that is different! Gosh! We hate to leave this place, but we must. Off to Tiger Island. After all, we have a date to show those angry hogs what woman power is all about. As we open the Tiger Island gate we are immediately greeted by the two TI dogs and a huge brown turkey. Welcome to our home!
Crichton makes it a point to greet guest personally. Here comes our very experienced guide, Joey. We want to make this a trip to remember. Sounds good! My daughter is looking for her first hog. Joey says that they are a little hard to come by now, too many acorns. We will do our best.
After loading our coolers with ice, it's off to our home away from home, our cabin. Let's rest up for the evening hunt.
Time to go, here comes Joey, Joey the man with a plan. We have some very active electric corn feeders. Let's tray this one where several roads come together. Dee and I settle in. Within a few minutes we see hogs, nice BBQ size hogs. These little porkers disappear as quickly as they appeared. The wind is swirling from all different directions. They smelled us. Bring out the scent wafers, one pine, one fresh earth. Hope they help. Well! the next group of hogs do the exact same thing. These guys are smart, really smart. They know we are here. As the sun pulls it's disappearing act, Dee sees, hidden off at a distance, several large hogs. Daddy, they are monsters. Please give me a shot, please! No way. Look daughter, that one even has a smirk on his face. This is getting personal. Dee is even more determined than ever, That guy is not going to beat me; this is becoming personal. See you in the morning. Back to camp, hog-less. Joey, being the man he is, the guide he is, has a plan. Let's try this hut standing six feet off the ground. Hopefully they will not know you are there. Crichton has another plan for Dee. See if you can chase one down using a four-wheeler. Now that sounds like a challenge.
As the sun does it's thing, I immediately see hogs, but they are on the run. Please stop! Well, they are gone. The beautiful oaks around me are absolutely loaded with squirrels. Those little rascals are loud. I hear barking, crashing of palm leaves, coming from all directions. Bushy tails are eating my corn. Hold on! That's no squirrel. Three hogs slowly, carefully, approach my feeder. Just a little closer. Ever so slow, ever so cautiously, I can even hear them sniffing the air. Is it safe? Gosh that golden corn smells good. Go for it! Slowly I raise my Marlin 45/70 lever action. With the cross-hairs of my 3X9 Nikon scope positioned just behind the beast's ear, I gently touch the trigger. With the kick of a mule, and fire shooting out of the barrel, that massive 325 gr Hornady LEVERevolution FTX bullet is on it's way. Hog down, hog down and out. What a beauty. But nothing from Dee. Oh Well! Maybe next time. BAM! Dee comes on the radio. Daddy, Daddy, I got a hog. Your daughter shot a hog. The beast has met his match, 'I am woman!' Way to go my darling, way to go precious.
The thrill of a life time, daddy and daughter hogs. Dad, I want to go back again as soon as possible.  I have a message for that monster that smirked at me,
"I am woman!" I am going to cook you a dinner you will never forget, wild hog on the grill.    Gosh! I have created a monster.
Bob, Florida Outdoor Writers Association, and daughter, Dee Harbison

My darling daughter, myself, and a couple of real beauties, Florida wild boars:

Crichton, Dee, Joey

Check out the short video of our trip. (click on the link)

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: My daughters first hog hunt
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 03:34:39 PM »
I love when your reports start..  and end with food clp  ;D

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
    • SafeTec Training Services
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 03:36:16 PM »
That's my kind of hunting... From a lawn chair. I think a deck chair would be more comfy. If only there was a kegorator in that blind. I'd sit back,  chrz and  pcrn

Fred, fishing the "Kristy Marie" from Manasquan River Club. Channels 16/67/68.

Offline harbison

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 04:29:09 PM »
 slt    Must admit we in Florida are kina into food, really good food. I think our counterparts in the Garden state are also. Remember, Tammy, our chef on the Florida Fisherman, comes from NJ. That woman really knows how to cook. She represents New Jersey very well. Job well done NJ, well done indeed!
fellinger, Sir, you have really given me some great ideas. I knew we crackers could learn from our Northern friends.   Thanks,  A proud dad

Offline overbite

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 06:41:54 PM »
Fresh pork on the Grill  clp
Is there anytime from kill to grill like bleeding out to a aging on those hogs I remember my uncle butchering and hanging for a week or more in the Refer. That was in Maryland. Glad your daughter takes care of Dad and enjoys the hunt with you. My son and Daughter both Shoot my son did not take to hunting and I did not push him. My daughter loves shooting and is a deadly shot single and Rapid shooting. with pistols. With all New Jersey has running around as of now Hogs are not needed. we are being over run with Deer. Turkey. Black Bears, Coyotes, to name a few. Nice to hear from you again Bill

Online Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 10:14:08 PM »
Harbison, that is fantastic.  TT^
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Offline harbison

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 10:26:52 PM »
 grtn   Bill, sounds like you live in wonderland. I would love living there. Sir, my wife of 39 years passed away a couple of years ago. Thelma was my hunting partner. Now, to have our daughter show an interest in hunting is a dream come true. That was our first hunt together. It felt so much like having Thelma by my side. Sir, I never pushed my daughters either, I love them too much.  Take care!  thanks for sharing your family with me.

Forgot to touch on processing. First we dress the hog as soon as possible. If possible, hanging in a cooler is preferred, but not required. Our secret is to soak the hog in ice water, vinegar, and salt for a couple of days. After this, the meat looks ever bit as good as that in the butchers display.
Often, particularly with big boys, we use a slow cooker for a few hours. Afterwards, the pork can be finished the same as domestic. Roasted in the oven with potatoes, onions, and carrots produces a real feast. Directly out of the slow cooker covered with BBQ sauce is really something. Smaller pigs, 50-75 pounds, can be cooked directly on the grill. Talk about a feast, this defies the imagination.  Bob
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 12:56:20 AM by harbison »

Offline overbite

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 11:15:57 PM »
SIR You epitomize the Meaning of a Southern Gentlemen. Glade to have crossed Paths with You Sir.  slt Bill

Offline harbison

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 08:52:13 AM »
 slt  Sir, I try to respect everyone. I have fished with many of our Northern friends. Florida is really all I know. Hearing stories from different places is exciting. I have fished with the sportsmen of NJ. Great people, people who make me proud to say, 'I have Northern friends!'    Bob   clp

Offline Duffman

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 06:54:25 PM »
Congrats Dee!!!

Damn I hungry now... ;D

You always use scent block?  Surprised the hogs would be put off by human scent when they are rooting around for food?

Offline harbison

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 08:15:18 PM »
 whs  Hogs are extremely smart animals  with a sense of smell that defies the imagination. The wind had them on high alert. Indeed, sometimes when they really get involved with eating their senses drop. Last Tuesday evening, on numerous occasions, they took off without ever making it to the corn.
We are in the middle of a huge acorn drop. Both hogs & deer are paying more attention to acorns than corn. That really makes them hard to hunt. Come December they will be much easier.   Bob

Offline bayonne

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2012, 08:22:36 PM »
congrats on a great hog hunt  t^ t^ been wanting to do it for years

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-