Author Topic: flounder hooks  (Read 3062 times)

Offline Scott Bailey

• seabass sharks cod ling stripers i love fishing
flounder hooks
« on: July 10, 2013, 03:45:40 PM »
i have a rig i bought for flouder it has a squid spinner and three beads on it is all that stuff really necessary and are kahle  hooks better then other hooks ? if they arent what do u use for fluke and flounder

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
Re: flounder hooks
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 04:48:38 PM »
Kahle hooks are all I ever use. Buy'em in bulk with some leader line on the spool or leader sticks which I prefer for the stiffness.

I haven't bought a pretied rig in years.

All I run is a plain old hook, but if you want the extra flash, go for it. My rigs probably run around 25 cent to make, and can be tied up in under a minute.
All your tuna's are belong to me

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
    • SafeTec Training Services
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 04:55:24 PM »
Leader sticks??

Fred, fishing the "Kristy Marie" from Manasquan River Club. Channels 16/67/68.

Offline Scott Bailey

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 05:24:46 PM »
Kahle hooks are all I ever use. Buy'em in bulk with some leader line on the spool or leader sticks which I prefer for the stiffness.

I haven't bought a pretied rig in years.

All I run is a plain old hook, but if you want the extra flash, go for it. My rigs probably run around 25 cent to make, and can be tied up in under a minute.
what size hooks and leader do u use and do u use squid or clam ?

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 05:35:04 PM »
Leader sticks??

Leader stick is a straight piece of leader material, approximately 36" in length. Usually stiffer than the leader material you get on a spool or 'coiled'.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 05:56:34 PM by IrishAyes »
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 05:43:43 PM »
 Use squid, killies, spearing, peanut bunker, gulp, clam, sea robbin strips in any combo, or alone.

I go with size 4/0

As Joe said, leader sticks are precut length's usually 36" and are stiffer than what you find on spooled leader material.

For storage of the leader sticks, I use a piece of 1/2 cpvc pipe 34' long with a stainless steel bolt in one end that fit snug enough to thread into it.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 05:44:04 PM by Reel Time »

Offline Scott Bailey

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 07:46:03 PM »
Use squid, killies, spearing, peanut bunker, gulp, clam, sea robbin strips in any combo, or alone.

I go with size 4/0

As Joe said, leader sticks are precut length's usually 36" and are stiffer than what you find on spooled leader material.

For storage of the leader sticks, I use a piece of 1/2 cpvc pipe 34' long with a stainless steel bolt in one end that fit snug enough to thread into it.
ohh okay thanks reel time do you set the hook with kahles i always thought u just let the rod load up like a circle hook
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 07:50:48 PM by Scott Bailey »

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 09:17:19 PM »
 Set it like any normal hook, or atleast I do.

Offline Scott Bailey

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 10:10:49 PM »
Set it like any normal hook, or atleast I do.
ohh okay i got ya

Offline Ms Fish

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 09:36:25 AM »
grtn Here's my two cents...There is nothing wrong with the pre-made rigs. Some have a lil more to them then others. Some fishermen like a lil flare and honestly either will work. Make sure you stretch out the pre-made leaders. I'm pretty simple with my lures my self but always eager to learn from those more experienced then I. I've used the the circle hooks, the ol stand by reg. gold or silver 3/0's or 4/0's with a semi long leader; three way and jiffy; Hi Lo rigs and even Buckies. I think if the fish are biting any rig will do. There are so many fishermen that 'swear' by certain rigs and will only use thoes; that's certainly ok!  t^ Like anything find rigs and gear that YOU like and go with it. There are so many different rigs that you can use for fluking. Sometimes I think less is best. Good luck!  msfsh           

Offline Scott Bailey

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 01:41:58 PM »
grtn Here's my two cents...There is nothing wrong with the pre-made rigs. Some have a lil more to them then others. Some fishermen like a lil flare and honestly either will work. Make sure you stretch out the pre-made leaders. I'm pretty simple with my lures my self but always eager to learn from those more experienced then I. I've used the the circle hooks, the ol stand by reg. gold or silver 3/0's or 4/0's with a semi long leader; three way and jiffy; Hi Lo rigs and even Buckies. I think if the fish are biting any rig will do. There are so many fishermen that 'swear' by certain rigs and will only use thoes; that's certainly ok!  t^ Like anything find rigs and gear that YOU like and go with it. There are so many different rigs that you can use for fluking. Sometimes I think less is best. Good luck!  msfsh           
thanks ms fish

Offline Scott Bailey

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 01:02:23 PM »

I go with size 4/0

i think i should have went with 4/0 cause the one keeper fluke i caugth swallowed a 3/0 kahle!

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 02:11:21 PM »
They'll still swallow them.  Out by the sea wall where you have to deal with strong current and, sometimes, a lot of grass, it can be difficult to feel the bite immediately.  That gives them more time to swallow it.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-