Author Topic: blackfish strikes  (Read 4470 times)

Offline Scott Bailey

• seabass sharks cod ling stripers i love fishing
blackfish strikes
« on: December 08, 2013, 02:20:26 AM »
need tips from experienced blackfish fisherman  on what the bite feels like and when to set the hook

Offline Capt. Carl

• New Jersey Fishing Guru
  • Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
  • Hired Gun
Re: blackfish strikes
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 07:10:04 AM »
Trust me....u will know!.....wait for the thumps
Good luck
Capt. Carl DiMenna
100 Ton U.S.C.G Master

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 09:12:48 AM »
Small taps,
Tap,    Tap tap,  keep your line tight with the sinker so you can feel everything. 

The crabs have a hard shell and the tog must crush it before inhaling the bait.  While you feel the taps and the tog is mouthing the crab, lift your rod tip in a steady motion around 3'. When you feel resistance on the line the Tog is gonna make a run for the holes in the structure. So reel hard and fast to raise the fish away from the bottom.   Once it's 10' off the bottom you can slow the reeling to a normal pace.90% of the time you will hook them in the lips.  5%. Gut hooked and 5% you snag them away from the mouth..
     Good luck and always ask the anglers next to you who are catching  for some tips,
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline makokeith

• Personal Best 38LBS
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 06:50:01 PM »
You have to learn to ignore the bergalls. Also sometimes they will just be sitting on the crab and you may need to lift the rod a bit to try to feel the resistance.
Keith
Franklin, N.J.
Proud member of the I.B.E.W. local 827

MAKO 250wa twin 150 E-tecs
  Happily fishing out of Atlantic Highlands Municiple Marina.

Offline Scott Bailey

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 10:19:16 PM »
Trust me....u will know!.....wait for the thumps
Good luck
   okay thanks

Offline Scott Bailey

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 10:23:12 PM »
Small taps,
Tap,    Tap tap,  keep your line tight with the sinker so you can feel everything. 

The crabs have a hard shell and the tog must crush it before inhaling the bait.  While you feel the taps and the tog is mouthing the crab, lift your rod tip in a steady motion around 3'. When you feel resistance on the line the Tog is gonna make a run for the holes in the structure. So reel hard and fast to raise the fish away from the bottom.   Once it's 10' off the bottom you can slow the reeling to a normal pace.90% of the time you will hook them in the lips.  5%. Gut hooked and 5% you snag them away from the mouth..
     Good luck and always ask the anglers next to you who are catching  for some tips,
okay so dont set the hook just lift fast and start reeling and keep contact with the sinker ?

Offline Scott Bailey

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 10:26:57 PM »
You have to learn to ignore the bergalls. Also sometimes they will just be sitting on the crab and you may need to lift the rod a bit to try to feel the resistance.
  okay and the bergals are machine gun taps and lift the rod every now and then thank you

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 09:47:06 AM »
If im not mistaken, from my experience, you don't get more then 1 tap.  You almost have to set the hook before you feel the tap.  The smallest thump can be a 10 lbs tog.  If you feel multiple taps, it is a begal. 
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Ms Fish

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 10:07:33 AM »
pawle taught me to always keep the weight on the bottom with a taught line at all times. If you let it bang on the bottom it will scare the fish away. So when the boat is rocking you adjust your rod with the swells or movement, keeping that weight as steady as you can. Also when you get the hit, which there is no doubt when it strikes, pull straight up in one motion and, like everyone else says, get it off the bottom asap so it can't snag you up. Be careful when pulling up...with the bottom structure being as it is when fishing for the blacks, you can easily snag yourself. Most important HAVE FUN!    

Offline Zabman

• 39 lb
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 04:52:34 PM »
The hardest thing for me was trying to figure out was that a rock or fish. I think I had it figured out by the end of the trip. I also was using a 5/0 Gama Octo and wonder if a 4/0 or 3/0 would have been more productive or even a Gama Octopus circle in line? Anyway when I think that much I believe I am hooked. TT^
<*)))}=<

Offline Scott Bailey

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 10:24:33 PM »
okay thanks guys

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 06:08:31 AM »
everyday the bite is different, sometimes its a scratchy picky bite when youll get taps a few times than nothing, somedays when the feed bag is on heavy you wont have a chance to wait for a tap before your in the rocks
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2013, 10:06:21 AM »
The hardest thing for me was trying to figure out was that a rock or fish. I think I had it figured out by the end of the trip. I also was using a 5/0 Gama Octo and wonder if a 4/0 or 3/0 would have been more productive or even a Gama Octopus circle in line? Anyway when I think that much I believe I am hooked. TT^

yeah buddy you are hooked!

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-