Author Topic: Trolling for stripers.  (Read 2758 times)

Offline SPEEDRUG

• caught about the max on a party boat
Trolling for stripers.
« on: October 05, 2007, 07:38:13 PM »
Me and my buddies are new to boat fishing and use to fish with bunker or other stuff but never jigged, use poppers, or trolled until my buddy got his boat..If we troll for some stripers should we invest in some planers or should we just troll from the back of the boat? Or should we just anchor and wait?

Offline sealife

Re: Trolling for stripers.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 07:53:05 PM »
In the past the best way was trolling with wire line.  You can use it to work parachute jigs if you want to build your arms up or to troll bunker spoons.  The wire goes down about 10% of its lenght without adding drail weights.  200' of wire gets down around 20'.  Trolling bunker spoons is an art in itself.  I know some people that have done away with the wire and are now using braided lines and getting good results with a lot less aggravation.   Stretch 25' or the like are also very effective.  If you just want to catch fish the umbrella rig with shads is really hard to beat.  Not always the big fish but a lot of schoolies.  You need to pay attention to the depth finder so you know how deep to run the rigs.  You want to be near the bottom but not in it. Hope this helps. I am sure you will get lots or other replies.

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 08:31:21 PM »
there are alot of ways to fish then, nothing works better then the other... they are all good if the fish are willing.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 11:36:22 PM »
Depends on the conditions, water temp, Bait and the Fish.........as to what works best.

Offline SPEEDRUG

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2007, 05:48:42 AM »
If i was to use planers should i buy or make some planers? Like this website?    http://www.quintefishing.com/make_your_own_dual_planer_boards.htm

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2007, 06:08:00 AM »
IF you are using wire or drail weights no.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2007, 09:53:31 AM »
Speedrug,
Did you want to know about a planer or a planer board.  These are two different items.  The link you added was for a planer board.

The planer is an item that attaches to the end of the running line from your reel.  You then attach a leader with your lure to the other side of the planer, a ring is slid to the top of a rail on the planer and the whole thing is put over the side.  The planer will have resistance from the water and this will force the planer to go down in the water column.  Thus, trolling with your lure down in the water but following out the stern of the boat.  When you get a hit the ring on the planer will slid down the rail and allow you to fight the fish with little resistance from the planer.

The planer board, which is what is shown in the link you provided, gets attached to it's own line, much like a down rigger.  However, this will ride away from the boat instead of down.  The running line from the reel gets attached to a clip on the planer board line.  The planner board stays on the surface but goes out to the side of the boat, thus bringing your lure away from the boat. 

If you are looking for depth for your lure, you want the planer.

If you are looking to widen the spread of your lures, you want the planer board.

That said, I don't use either.  Here's why.
To widen your spread, use rod riggers or side riggers.   
rod rigger http://www.amazon.com/Windline-Rod-Rigger/dp/B0000AYEM7

side rigger http://www.alltackle.com/siderigger.htm

These are devices that go into a rod holder on your gunnel.  Your rod goes into the rod or side rigger.  Your rod is now pointed out the side of the boat.  You will widen your spread by the length of the rod that you are using.  No extra gear in the water, as with the planer board.

To lower the lure in the water, use wire line or drails (weights that look like torpedos)attached to your line. 

To accomplish both a wider spread and depth for the lure you put a wire line outfit or an outfit with drail weights on it into a rod rigger.

Sorry to ramble on.  I hope this helps.

Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2007, 02:47:26 PM »
very true.  that is what I use also.. Actually, the I have a pair of the ones on the link on top.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline SPEEDRUG

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2007, 07:18:16 PM »
Those rod riggers same to me to be a easy solution...Thanks for the help..

Offline Kevin

• Sponsor
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2007, 07:49:44 PM »
i suggest a great lure to run on plain mono, which i do on my boat , the bunker shaped stretch 22's theyre great i pulled 30lbrs. on em last season, theyre easy to use also. and bunker spoons and umbrelle rigs are great , mostly used on wire line, but if you dont use wire , just stick a length of leader material and put a drain in front, also if you see the rod tip bouncing up and down, that means your dragging along the bottom, reel up some until it stops, and remember just like trolling for tuna, keep the lures and different lenghts back behind the boat, and down deeper than others, good luck! t^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-