Author Topic: 1st time out  (Read 2968 times)

Offline Xfire2149

1st time out
« on: June 23, 2014, 11:19:25 AM »
OK folks, I'm basically new to the area and know only what I can read and ascertain from conversations about fishing in the area. I went out of Atlantic highlands Saturday afternoon about 3PM. 2 kids, 2 bikini model moms, and me. I wanted to fish. It's a passion of mine but I'm not from here. I grew up in CA so I don't know much about the area, species of fish, or techniques. I stopped in a local bait and tackle shop and loaded up on 4 Oz bucktails White, green, and pink. I picked up Gulp curly tails to match. Grabbed some whole squid and a chart of the bay and water off Sandy hook and headed out. I crossed the bay and turned headed east a little bit using the chart and bouys to determine where I was. Found what I thought were some drop offs and maybe rocks and set anchor. Set two lines up with 4Oz bucktails and gulp stingers and two lines up with 4oz egg sinkers and cut squid. After about 30 mins starting getting some action on the bucktails but it was hard to keep up with the rods, the kids, and the moms. Hooked and landed a 19.5" Fluke on green/green buck tail. Hooked and landed several skates and a dogfish on cut squid. Kept the fluke and send everything else back to Neptune. Kids had fun, girls got tan, and I got my first taste of East Coast saltwater fishing.  I tried to snag some bunker but struck out. This seems like something you must see to understand.
I greatly appriciate any comments, tips, or even company to learn the local waters.

Scott
Army Ranger /Navy Diver

Offline Capt. Carl

• New Jersey Fishing Guru
  • Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
  • Hired Gun
Re: 1st time out
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 11:40:13 AM »
If fluking.....dont anchor....u want to drift the spots. This will increase your results and decrease any googanism points you may earn by setting the anchor in the middle of a drifting fluke fleet.  ;D
Good luck and the members here share info well so dont be afraid to ask!
Capt. Carl DiMenna
100 Ton U.S.C.G Master

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 11:54:34 AM »
Sounded like a Blast..  We love pics.. and we know what fluke look like.  But the Bikini Moms :headscra:
We don't come by them often ;D

Offline paul-e

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 01:34:58 PM »
Welcome and I believe it read."bikini model moms" TT^
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Xfire2149

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 02:09:41 PM »
Fishing partner
Army Ranger /Navy Diver

Offline Salty Dog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 03:00:46 PM »
For snagging bunker ,cast on the other side of the school ( when possible ) with a weighted treble hook .Reel fast and jig hard .Pick up the slack reel hard and jerk hard .You'll get the hang of it .Bunker strips and killie re great bait for fluke .

Offline Xfire2149

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 03:20:56 PM »
Thanks for the tip on snagging the bunker. I figured that was the case ad I have the weighted treble hooks. I was throwng them across the schools with dacron so it wouldnt stretch and help set the snag. I talked to a few people who said you can feel them bumping into the line. I didnt. Probably werent thick enough schools. Who knows?
I'll figure it out. Have a cast net too but there was just too much going on in the boat for all that.
Army Ranger /Navy Diver

Offline Adam W.

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 09:32:21 PM »
If you can get another bikini model for me... I'd be glad to take you around as far as you need learning... Dfish28@yahoo.com    >:D
"I hear banjos, paddle faster!!"

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 07:43:28 AM »
t^

Offline fluke - u

• Super Hero Member
  • Owner @ Fluke-U Charters
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 10:01:31 AM »
 t^...I would be willing to watch the Moms while you take the kids fishing ..  pcrn
I support our sponsors !
Success is getting what you want.
Happiness is wanting what you get.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-