Author Topic: Sunday Sharking - If it wasn't for bad luck I'd have none!  (Read 1820 times)

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
    • SafeTec Training Services
Sunday Sharking - If it wasn't for bad luck I'd have none!
« on: June 29, 2014, 07:36:12 PM »
Where to start? Yesterday was my last day of a week off in Wildwood with the family and extended family (great time). Oh, but, that week started with me losing $1,100 worth of business money somewhere in my house (see what I mean about bad luck?). I was originally planning on sharking on Tuesday but, with the forecast I decided to try it out today with my future brother-in-law Dennis who has never shark fished. The plan was to stay close and target threshers. We were on a tight schedule as I had to be at work at 6:30PM in Pottstown, PA.

I went to the boat last night and prepped all the gear, organized a bit, and threw the charger on the batteries for safe measure. They read perfect on the meters. We cast off the lines at 5AM sharp and headed North for a bit. Made it to just shy of the intended area where there are tons of pots and it just looked and smelled sharky. Tuna chicks, smell of bait, and occasionally marked bait. Knowing sharing in the hundreds of pots is nearly impossible we searched for an area to get setup in. The ocean was flat, winds so variable, and just about slack tide. Getting a read on the drift was a bit tricky at first. We figured it out, made a few drifts without even a sniff. Saw some whales, dolphins, and a school of something making a wave, pushing bait (I would consider betting BFT)from their profile but, they were gone as soon as the arrived. Knowing I had to be at the dock at a given time I decided we would move closer to my inlet.

Made a run the SGR to see if there was any bunker and hungry sharks there but found none. Managed to at least catch a few short fluke while using the last of our chum.

At quitting time I turn the key and 'click'.... WTF! Again 'click' now with my VHF yelling at me about low voltage. Voltmeter low... Troubleshooting and found a loose alternator wire on the starter. Yep, you guessed it, another tow for Fred this season!  rgmn I assume running the 40+ miles all day with a loose wire took it's toll on my batteries. Now to look at the schedule and see when I can get back and charge them and confirm the only problem was the alternator wire.

On the bright side I got to do some reorganizing of the cabin, tackle, etc. on the tow home. At my marina a couple of guys were cleaning up a 200# mako caught at about 50 miles.

On the down side I am expecting Boat US to call at anytime and advise me my "unlimited" towing has just been limited. LOL

Fred, fishing the "Kristy Marie" from Manasquan River Club. Channels 16/67/68.

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
Re: Sunday Sharking - If it wasn't for bad luck I'd have none!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 07:41:54 PM »
On the Bright side you saved some fuel  ;D It'll come Fred you'll have your day  t^
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 08:03:30 PM »
Thank God  for towing plans. Better luck next time Fred.
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 09:54:52 AM »
Soon all your kinks will be worked out.  Hopefully the cash you misplaced turns up chrz
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 10:00:04 AM »
Oh boy Fred.  How many miles was the tow and how long

Offline Tuna Tales

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 10:13:19 AM »
We all been there..

Saltwater is a bitch!

Get um next time!

Joe T.

Offline Reel McCoy

• AKA usd00017
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 10:22:04 AM »
Bummer, Fred.   Hope it is an easy fix.
22' Grady-White Reel McCoy II

Offline paul-e

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 01:10:08 PM »
Sorry to hear. nosmly

It can only get better form here. t^
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-