Author Topic: wb will heed the Small Craft Advisories from now on....  (Read 1706 times)

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
wb will heed the Small Craft Advisories from now on....
« on: October 29, 2007, 07:11:47 PM »
Had to get the boat from Red Bank to Keyport for the haul out yesterday. Running out of time we decided to try it (shoulda went Saturday from what I read.)

If I could say "good thing it was blowing from the NW" it's only cuz upon entering the bay we were actually able to head NW sort of towards Keyport. The waves sure seemed bigger but I would estimate the worst as we reached the Reach was pounders at 6-8ft. We could barely handle a quartering sea and had we been knocked broadside I feared capsize. Not to mention losing power and/or steering, the end result would likely have been the same. Crazily we kept the bow headed into the waves and made for Old Orchard Shoal. The ol girl performed like a champ (thanks Grady, Yammy, and diligent maintenance.) As we got into the lee of Stagnant Island it did lay down a bit so we made the great circle route and wound up approaching Keyport from about Morgan Creek back westward. By that time Mr. Sun was out Mr Wind left, and you would never have known the cr@p we went through.

We made it but looking back it was a stupid thing to do. I coulda taken OFF FROM WORK today to do it (OK maybe I woulda hadta play hooky but better safe than sorry)

So take heed anyone considering it... Small Craft Advisories mean you and it's dangerous out there....

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: wb will heed the Small Craft Advisories from now on....
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 07:35:22 PM »
Good job WB.  Making way in slop like that is difficult, to say the least and not very confortable. 
You showed you are a smart skipper in that you headed to the lee side of the land.  It makes for a longer run, but it is the safe and sane way to do things.   t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: wb will heed the Small Craft Advisories from now on....
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 07:44:41 PM »
 t^
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-