Author Topic: Hooked on Panama Fishing. Report 2/7 to 2/15  (Read 1016 times)

Offline Pauls1976

• Full Member of the Den
Hooked on Panama Fishing. Report 2/7 to 2/15
« on: February 16, 2015, 06:05:36 PM »
Well guys, just got back from "Hooked on Panama" fishing lodge, left Panama City yesterday and it was 92 degrees, got back to NJ and it was 3 degrees. This will be a bit long but we had 5 days of fishing and I will add some pictures today. We arrived to lodge, which is on Panama/Costa rica border! we were told meat fishing wasn't that good! the sailfish haven't migrated down in great numbers yet and they have gotten 1 20lb tuna since December but Marlin fishing was good. Last year we went to same lodge and my dad could barely walk as he was facing spinal fusion surgery. So this trip was extra special to me and I didn't really care what or if we caught anything.

Day 1 - our captain hadn't fished since Sat, so he wanted to go offshore to prospect for the week ahead. Full spread wasn't set for more than 20 mins when we had a Sailfish crash the long rigger. Knocked 2 baits down but we were not able to connect. Shortly after we had another shot and landed 1st Sail of the trip. Worked the area when 3 rods start to scream, captain yelled tuna! We landed 3 yellowfin between 25-50lbs. Our long rigger was left in water, as we put boat in gear, it starts to scream with 100lb plus Sailfish jumping all over. Got the release on a TLD 30. Got back on the troll and picked 2 more single yellowfin. The tuna stayed down and never gave us a shot with poppers. Around 1 the life disappeared. A few window shopping Sailfish in spread and 2 missed Mahi for the rest of the day. Not a bd start, fresh tuna for dinner the next 2 days which made for a happy lodge. We called in a boat from the Zancudo lodge, they dropped a sail and a tuna but gave us some "new" numbers to try later in week as a thank you.

Day 2 - started the day off with a Sail release shortly after lines in. About 45 minutes in, Mr Marlin appeared. My dad releases an approximate 200lb Black Marlin, his first billfish in 2 years due to his back on a tLD25.As we worked area, we (as well as other boats) saw countless Sails feeding on tiny minnows all over the place. I got a short video from about 10 feet away of one of them chasing the bait. Close enough that I was able to cast a ballyhoo w a spinning rod with no luck. We pounded the area and had another black Marlin wreak havoc but didn't get him hooked. the sails were everywhere but were not feeding. We took a break from trolling and deep dropped for Grouper. We brought 3 grouper (all 5-10lbs) and 2 types of fish that resembled Rose Fish, one had a head like a Sea Robin. Got back on troll and landed another Sail.

Day 3 a some win and rain showers were passing through in morning, so captain wanted to fish the point until they passed. A few blow ups on popper but no hookups and we missed one run off on a live bait but we decided to head offshore again. Slower day as we saw plenty of Sails but only managed to get 3 hits, releasing 2. Had a black Marlin in spread but he was just swimming in our spread. We added a couple single Mahi in the 15-20lb range.

Day 4 - captain asked us if we were up for a "long" run, he wanted to try the numbers for the FAD that we got numbers from earlier in the week. We stopped for 45 minutes in the spot we fished on day 2. I botched a drop back on a Sailfish and we added a 20lb Mahi. Capt Oliver did not like what he saw and said let's go. Having some lunch and beers during the ride on glass calm conditions, we saw whales, porpoise, free jumping Sails and any fish near the surface you could see. Got to the spot and lines in. Shortly after we had a black Marlin crash the spread. He stayed with us awhile but we missed our chance. Trolled for a couple hours with not a touch. Then the rod started to scream and the fish didn't break the surface. Not sure what was on line but my dad settled in for the fight. A little over an hour and we had color, it was an approximate 400lb Blue Marlin. Got the release and my dad had a Billfish grand Slam for the trip! After his year, couldn't be more proud of him. Time for the long run in, cleaning up the rods one at a time. The short rigger popped and I was now hooked up on a. Black Marlin. Fought him on a TLD25 for about 45 mins and got the release.

Day 5 - last day of the trip. Captain said he wanted to make a 50 mile run to The Isle of Montosa (spelling?). He said bigger tuna showed the past 2 days and he wanted us to use poppers. It is always a bit bouncy going to this island from lodge in morning due to the winds coming off the mountains. We landed another nice Mahi, had a mystery hit and had a. Black Marlin crash our flat line but knocked the pusher out of the water and missed the hook. Around 11am, captain orders all lines in, poppers came down and he said I can see the tuna. He watched the birds and porpoise for a couple mins and creeped up. He told me where to throw, 2 twitches of the popper and I was on. I was using my Shimano Thunnus 6000 w 50lb Braid. After about an hour, I had a estimated 75-80lb YFT on the deck. Capt asked if I was ready to go again, I said he'll yes, chugged a beer and got back on the bow. Oliver told me where to cast, a few twitches and I was on again. Landed this one in about 20 minutes on the bow and had another yellowfin in the boat. With tuna in sight still, I got right back on the bow. Capt said he was seeing bigger tuna and asked if I wanted to use there set ups. I said no, first cast again a YFT blew up on my popper but missed. As I kept with the cast, capt in English yelled "Holy crap! hold on!". At that time a huge yellowfin (an Allison) crashed my popper but never hooked up. What a scene! . Got 1 more YFT on a popper before all went quiet. It was quiet on the troll from there, Capt Oliver said we would get another shot and we did. On the way trolling towards home, we came across the porpoise and bird play. One cast and I was on again but fish spit the popper. Made a wiggle and hooked up again. Fought it for about a half hour and got it in gaff range. Fish was hooked thru the side, mate gaffes him but the handle slipped off the gaff and fish took off. We took turns on this one and eventually broke him off. Capt said one last time before we head in. Once again hooked up and landed a 60-70lb yellowfin. It was time to go in but he said he would troll 3 ballyhoo/panama Bella's while the mate cut up and iced the meat. As the mate bagged the loins there were two explosions and we had a double header on. Landed both. Ended the day with 6 tuna between 50-80lbs in the boat, 1 unintentional release, a Mahi and a missed Marlin. Great way to end the trip.

A killer trip, we personally would take 1 Marlin to 10 Sailfish. My dad got a Panama Billfish. Grand Slam, I got to catch my tuna on my spinning rods. We didn't spend really anytime looking for Cubera's or Roosters this time but we were more than happy with our results. The sea lif was amazing Sailfish free jumping and balling bait, Manta Rays, whales, porpoise, turtles, sea snakes, Triggerfish etc. My dad got to enjoy this trip, his surgically repaired back held up strong. A few notes, I can't say enough good things about the lodge and the crew we fished with. We fished on custom 35 foot boats designed for room and to keep you out of the sun. Not the fastest boats in the world but great set up for fishing down there. Every night we had fresh fish for dinner and a drink waiting for us as we got off the boat and on to the beach. I will post some pictures and short videos today. I know it was lengthy report but I hope you enjoyed my report. I am lucky enough to be leaving the cold. Friday for 3 days of fishing in Los Suenos. Feel free to DM me if you have any questions about the trip.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-