Author Topic: off shore fishing with braid  (Read 3658 times)

Offline Mattgros325is

off shore fishing with braid
« on: July 08, 2015, 10:31:00 PM »
Im looking to go shark and tuna fishing off shore. I just recently bought two penn international 30tw. I use braid for all my inshore fishing and was hoping to use for offshore as well, to utilize the greater line capacities with stronger line.   Ive been doing research about different knots to attach mono backing to the braid then back to mono topshot/leader.   Does anyone have any experience or recommendations of preferred knots. Im looking to use 50-80lb mono backing, then 150lb power pro spectra, with 50-75 yards of 100lb topshot mono.   Ive been thinking double uni knot or improved albright knot for backing mono to the braid, Then spider hitch to form a loop then GT knot for topshot.
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
    • SafeTec Training Services
Re: off shore fishing with braid
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 11:02:10 PM »
I've switched to hollow core braid on my offshore reels. Have someone reputable "serve" your mono top shot right into the hollow core. It's so smooth and strong.

Fred, fishing the "Kristy Marie" from Manasquan River Club. Channels 16/67/68.

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 05:40:52 AM »
 whs,      On my Avets 2 speed 30 wides ,  400 yards of 80lb Hollow core "no backing" just a couple wraps of friction tape. Then 200 yards Mamoi 60lb diamond mono "Rated at 80lb breaking strength"
    If you can't do the mono to braid splice,  look it up on YouTube otherwise uni to uni knot works..  Good luck.
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Mattgros325is

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 08:30:14 PM »
thanks! do you guys have any recommendations for manufacturer of hallow core? 

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-