Author Topic: clouser teaser?  (Read 5988 times)

Offline DAK

clouser teaser?
« on: September 10, 2008, 06:26:35 PM »
I was just thinking (day dreaming) about the upcoming fall run, and this just kinda popped into my head - what do you guys (and gals) think about putting a classic - the clouser fly - above a jig, or a jighead w/ a bassassasin, zoom, etc, or in front of a plug? Related question - what kinds of teasers do you use?

dak
This boy is about as sharp as a sack of wet mice...

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
Re: clouser teaser?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 07:50:56 PM »
I am a big fan of the teaser.  I love a teaser in front of my main lure, unless it is a surface lure, although that has worked before as well.  I have used a clouser style or a modified clouser, made of bucktail in a "match the hatch" color or pattern.  Usually 4/0, 5/0, 6/0 or 7/0 hook.  Very rarely any larger than 7/0 for the bay or inshore.

I want to really get back into tying teasers and get really creative in my down time.  I want to try some of the many other products besides bucktail to tie them.  There have been some really great flies and teasers tied by some of the members here...absolutely stunning ties!  So nice, I wouldn't want to use them hhppy!

It is always worth a try.  I never hear anyone complaining of having a teaser.  Only downfalls are tangles or problems casting, but they usually straighten themselves out in the water if you have them rigged properly!

Good Luck!

TT^

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 08:07:25 PM »
My favorites are the Red Gills or Rag Lou type teasers.  t^

But I've also had success with white, yellow or black bucktail teasers, Fin S fish (2" and 4"), twister tails, and just plain surgical tubing.

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 08:57:53 PM »
Never thought of trying any of those type of "lures" as teasers!  It makes sense though.  Definitely something I am going to try this Fall.  Thanks for the ideas Bucktail!!

TT^

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 09:01:27 PM »
I have tied my own teasers. Nothing fancy.

It's hard to get fancy tying teasers when you have a difficult enought time just trying to tie your shoes.  ;D

When I fished the beach, I would ALWAYS have a teaser in front of my main lure. A lot of fish came off the teaser.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 11:23:22 PM »
I agree, I like to use them as well.  I tie my own and have had good luck with them.

Thar this one, take an old top water plug, take the hooks off.  Tie on a teaser at least 18" above it and cast it parallel to the rocks.  Let it drift into the rocks and then start your retrieve.  The teaser will go nuts and the plug will not get caught in the rocks but allow you to get to the daemons that lurk there.

Clousers are my favorite BTW.  I have a number of them in different patterns.  My supply is dwindling but the nice thing is they are easy to tie and I can have 10 to go over night.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 11:33:04 PM »
Thar this one, take an old top water plug, take the hooks off.  Tie on a teaser at least 18" above it and cast it parallel to the rocks.  Let it drift into the rocks and then start your retrieve.  The teaser will go nuts and the plug will not get caught in the rocks but allow you to get to the daemons that lurk there.

That's a great tip Paul.  Never thought of that either.  Actually using the teaser as the main lure and the main lure as the teaser!!  Very creative fishing.

TT^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 11:37:21 PM »
 TT^
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 12:02:58 PM »
I use clousers all the time for teasers when targeting fluke & false albacore.  t^

They work extremely well when there is 'small' bait fish around (ie rainfish/bay anchovies, small spearing.

I stopped using them when jigging in the fall, not because they were unproductive but because my arms would ache at the end of th day from all the doubleheaders of bass/bass, bass/bluefish or bluefish/bluefish. Besides a clouser doesn't hold up well to bluefish.

Never tried them in front of a plug. Might give that a whirl later this fall.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 12:44:12 PM »
FYI, I just returned from Ortley Beach and the surf is loaded with rain fish and the birds are finally aggressively diving after them.  I just tied up a few more for tonight.  I will be trying just before dark.
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline DAK

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 01:21:44 PM »
Good replies guys, thanks. I'm gonna try teasing some school girls (stripers) tonight...
This boy is about as sharp as a sack of wet mice...

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2008, 01:27:05 PM »
Good luck.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2008, 01:29:00 PM »
I like these guys when rainfish are around:

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-