Author Topic: Thresher sharks  (Read 1479 times)

Offline PHIL

Thresher sharks
« on: January 29, 2008, 03:41:33 PM »
I asked before if it were possible to catch sharks from coast to 5 miles out, and people replied thresher sharks. Thats pretty cool. I've never caught a shark and I would love to land one. So my question is what type of tackle and bait would I use for this just to have on my boat that I can throw in the water boat along with my striper outfits. I want to catch a shark. Thank You.

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
Re: Thresher sharks
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 03:51:13 PM »
I will be keeping a 30-80lb standup class rod on my boat with a Penn 15gk 2 speed my pops donated to me cheap. I recently purchase some shark rigs to keep on the boat. I am using 400lb cable w/ a 15/0 true circle. Maybe a bit overkill, but I may use a 2lb bluefish as bait and  I want to make sure I have the gear to land one provided the slim window of opportunity I may have to get one.

Reel is loaded with 80lb braid I think. If not, 65lb is going on it as that is what I have lying around.

For bait, use one of the bunkers that they are feeding on a piece of bluefish if you catch one in the area would work as well.

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 04:10:13 PM »
 whs
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 04:14:05 PM »
There were Threshers in Ambrose and Sandy Hook Channels this past season, a couple were landed...and I believe one member of this site landed a 4-5 footer.... t^

The sharks will follow the bait.........

Offline Capt -Jerry P

• Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
    • Fish Monger
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 04:27:18 PM »
more and more thresher sharks are showing up inshore with all the bunker we been having around lately.

you really can only target them when they are under the bunker. lots are seen but less are landed usually because nobody has the gear to land them.

like mboy said they will eat the bunker live or dead or small blue or a fillet. wire leader a must.

we have hooked into a bunch while fluking but most bust off.

lots of brown/sandbar/dusky type sharks enter  tuckerton in the early summer. good month you could get them we caught them pretty big on eels and bunker few sand tigers as well.

fight pretty hard from land. we used 100lb braid
to a steel leader with a drail as weight.

while running the nk2 we caught this baby thresher (released after pics)

good luck in your quest

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-