Author Topic: Blast from the Past ;Dacron Line Fishing  (Read 3589 times)

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
Blast from the Past ;Dacron Line Fishing
« on: May 22, 2008, 02:08:42 PM »
Anyone of  you gents or ladies ever fish with Dacron Line.I just found a few spools of  Gudebrod braided Dacron in 2olb,30 lb,50lb 100yds spools in excellent condition.Thinking about spooling a reel or two and maybe troll one reel with stretch 25s.
Or should I use it to tie up the news papers?
Thoughts and ideas welcomed.  Thanks, AJ.   

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
Re: Blast from the Past ;Dacron Line Fishing
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 02:12:36 PM »
How old is it?  I would now think it has the same integrity as when it was new.  Braid has a tendency to rot from the inside out but you will have to be the judge on that.

It would be interesting to use it once more, though.

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 02:21:30 PM »
They said it was stored in a cool place for  some years but it is still on the original spools.It looks clean and appears never to have been used in its original package.

Offline Treebeard

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 02:35:58 PM »
I used Dacron a bit in my younger days..but never tried it trolling..You should certainly get the low stretch effect that modern braids offer, but I doubt you will get the same kind of depth penetration due to dacron's much bigger diameter, and greater buoyancy (its hollow and tends to float). Remember , the average spectra 50# braid is comparable to about 10-12# mono, but dacron will be much closer in dia.  to its comparable mono.. Other than that, if its a good deal, try it on one rig and see what you think..you can always use it for backing if it does'nt meet your needs.

Offline mgm

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 02:37:57 PM »
I still have a spool of 50 lb Offshore Angler dacron that I used to use for codfishing because of its low stretch, but with today's small diameter braid, the only use I have for it is backing on my larger 4/0 and 6/0 Senators which I top with braid of 60 or 80 lb test.

The condition of my dacron is still excellent as it has a waxy coat on it.  I wouldn't think of using it for any other application.
" The press should be not only a collective propagandist and a collective agitator, but also a collective organizer of the masses. "

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 07:53:57 PM »
Treebeard, you make a good point about that water absorbtion and diameter.I got it for nothing, so I will try it on a Fluke set up and see what happens. I can always use it as backing as MGM states on the jigmaster or senators 3/0s or 4/0s. Thanks guys.

Offline Reel Class

• Sponsor
    • Reel Class website
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 06:43:20 AM »
make sure its not brittle and that it still has its integrity...  Dacron works great for pulling big plugs, esp. stretch's.  If I could get my hands on some fresh stuff I would use it in teh right circumstances

Capt Allen
Reel Class Charters
Point Pleasant, NJ
www.reelclassfishing.com
(201)248-5281

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 03:49:35 PM »
6/02 update: the stuff workd fine so far on the troll tested against spoons and stretchs on blues to 6-8 lbs.Not one of our major saccomplishments yet but we will mix it in try it along with other stuff.Keep you informed.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-