Author Topic: Bunker Question  (Read 2352 times)

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
Bunker Question
« on: June 17, 2008, 07:56:53 PM »
I want to save some bunker for vacation. Should I just freeze them whole or cut them up. Also is there anything else I should do to them. I would like to use them for crabs, Fluke and Striper's. I am told its hard to find them down in Ocean City MD. Thanks for the help.
Rick
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
Re: Bunker Question
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 07:57:54 PM »
Freeze them whole.........easy to cut frozen with a good knife TT^

Offline fishon42

• Super Hero Member
  • Salmon On
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 07:58:09 PM »
I would assume you would freeze them whole. Then again, I really dont think it matters.  t^
Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 08:01:22 PM »
I would fillet an amount that I think I would use for fluke. Put them on a disposable tin and put kosher salt on them. That will tuffen them up. If you freeze them, they will be soft when thawed and come off the hook very easily.

The ones for crab bait. DON'T MATTER, JUST FREEZE.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 08:03:41 PM »
Salt them and the freeze them Joe?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 08:06:23 PM »
Rick, I would freeze them hole in bags of two maybe three.They get kind of soft and musshy in a short while.Then you could keep what you want and use what you need per day. Good Luck, AJ.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 08:08:16 PM »
I put mine in the freezer, yes. They say it is not necessary if you salt them enough.

I put them in the freezer more for a lack of any other place to store them.  TT^

Forgot to mention. Check them in a day and drain off any liquid. Can add more salt then if you want.  t^

After a day or two, I put them in zip locks.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline fishon42

• Super Hero Member
  • Salmon On
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 08:09:37 PM »
Freeze 2 of them in a medium size zip locked bag, with 4 shots of Grey Goose Vodka added.
Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 08:23:06 PM »
they will be useless for stripers as they eat fresh bunker, but for fluke and crabs, they are perfect.  Get a bunch of newspaper and wrap 2 in each whole.  The paper will prevent them from sticking to each other.  I would do this all the time when I buy a flat of bunker for crab bait.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 08:27:31 PM »
Thanks Guys

Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline fishon42

• Super Hero Member
  • Salmon On
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 08:32:42 PM »
 t^

Online Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 09:41:33 PM »
Rick,

When I ran the B&T we used to pride ourselves on not only having the freshest bait but also the freshest "frozen" bait as well.

If you want good quality frozen bunker you need to freeze it as soon as possible after you net or snag it.  From the boat to the freezer you must make sure the bunker are immediately placed on ice and (if necessary) drain the slime and excess water from the cooler periodically.

When you get them home, freeze them whole.  If you can, try to place the fish in such a way that it is touching as little as possible.  If handled correctly, you will be surprised at how well they thaw out.  And yes, you can catch stripes with them. ;)

As far as fillets, Joe has it right.  Man!  We used to fillet and salt a lot of bunker!  Mackerel too.  I remember getting ready to close at 9pm after working since 5 that morning only to get a call that the boats had bunker and they'd be at the shop soon.  Lots of fun being up all night filleting and salting a truck bed full of those little slimers! ::)

-Bob

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-