Author Topic: What A Day!  (Read 2025 times)

Offline FINITALIA2

• 43.8lbs. 49in.
What A Day!
« on: July 29, 2008, 04:57:41 PM »
Left AH marina around 3:30 p.m. with my wife and son to enjoy a day of fishing with them.  Got to the first drift around sandy hook channel and started picking up fish right away.  Everybody was having fun!  On the very next drift, I noticed a coast guard boat moving toward me.  They boarded my boat for a safety inspection.  Right in the middle of sandy hook channel.  Not smart considering all the tankers heading toward us.  It took the coasties more then a half hour to do their little inspection, and I had everything handy.   When we returned back to the marina a state trooper boat was there.  After I tied up, he came right over and asked me for my registration.  He started writing down my information for no reason.  20 min. later I was able to pull the boat.  What a waste of a day I hoped to just spend on the water with my family. 

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
Re: What A Day!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 05:36:43 PM »
Any day on the water with the family is a good one....USCG are just there to protect us. One way to prevent the on water safety inspection is to have you boat inspected by the USCG Aux.....you get a sticker for the boat and an inspection report. t^

I have had the USCG run up to me, see the inspection sticker wave and motor off. TT^

Also another thing you have to remember is it is a violation to fish in the channel....I know we all do it and the USCG most of the time do not bother anybody.......but haw many times have you seen a tanker coming down the channel giving 5 blasts to boats that do not move. If you wait to the last minute and our engine does not start you are now driftwood, it takes the ships over a mile to stop and they can't leave the channel.

Two years ago the USCG had a big push on moving boats out of the channel, and this was brought about by our fellow fishermen, who have the common sense of a rock. 5hrug

While it may seem like you are being picked on, most of the time it is for our safety. TT^

Everytime I am stopped or checked I always thank the officer/USCG and offer them water or soda. slt

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 05:37:23 PM »
Good thing you were both SAFE and LEGAL or your day would have been much worse.....

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 06:17:14 PM »
Yea Mike, Officers  were out there when I was earlier that day and circled us two times:I quess checking stickers and numbers.They drove away.
 Heard someone say  another officer boarded them  and the officers were  in a private looking 18ft boat with no name. Checked em for shorts. Glad ever thing worked out for you on your trip. TT^

Offline true2cents

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 06:34:47 PM »
If you looked more dangerous or a immigration issue they would not have stopped you.They want easy safe pickings and unfortionly are tarnishing there great old tradition of helping us by pushing tickets.The USCG is not what it use to be. As for the SP,MP they have a thumbs down history since there start.CG aux thumbs up

Offline FINITALIA2

• 43.8lbs. 49in.
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 06:42:47 PM »
Any day on the water with the family is a good one....USCG are just there to protect us. One way to prevent the on water safety inspection is to have you boat inspected by the USCG Aux.....you get a sticker for the boat and an inspection report. t^

I have had the USCG run up to me, see the inspection sticker wave and motor off. TT^

Also another thing you have to remember is it is a violation to fish in the channel....I know we all do it and the USCG most of the time do not bother anybody.......but haw many times have you seen a tanker coming down the channel giving 5 blasts to boats that do not move. If you wait to the last minute and our engine does not start you are now driftwood, it takes the ships over a mile to stop and they can't leave the channel.

Two years ago the USCG had a big push on moving boats out of the channel, and this was brought about by our fellow fishermen, who have the common sense of a rock. 5hrug

While it may seem like you are being picked on, most of the time it is for our safety. TT^

Everytime I am stopped or checked I always thank the officer/USCG and offer them water or soda. slt
I was not fishing the channel!  I drifted into it after they boarded me.  It was there stupid mistake.  They were a bunch of kid costies not knowing what they were doing.  If they had a half a brain they would be dangerous!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 06:45:24 PM by FINITALIA2 »

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 06:47:11 PM »
I did not say you were fishing the channel, just made a statement, that many are not aware of.........

You get more with Honey than you do with vineger. TT^

Like I said if you get your boat inspected by the USCG Aux, you will save yourself being boarded later t^

Offline FINITALIA2

• 43.8lbs. 49in.
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 06:51:03 PM »
They gave me an inspection paper that they said is just like having that sticker.  That was the first thing I asked them because I have the sticker from last year.  Thanks

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 06:56:55 PM »
Go to this site and it will lead you to the inspectors in the area......

http://www.uscgboating.org/SAFETY/vsc.htm

I use they guy in Monmouth Beach......have it done as soon as the boat hits the water. Takes about 15 minutes TT^

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 08:23:36 PM »
 rgmn w0w
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Mr Limpett

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 08:44:18 PM »
You know what, I hear you though Finn.
You fell like ...well my boat was boarded
once by the coast guard. I didn't care, it
was in the afternoon and I'd been fishing
all day and it was soon after 9/11 so I was
happy to have them aboard.
I read your post and I sympathize with you.
You're an American. You're on the ocean on
your own boat. You're with your family. You
just don't need the government interfering
with that. That's not a popular opinion but
that's how I feel. I want to get away from everything when I'm on the ocean or in the
woods or in a stream or river. The government
boarding your boat is like the police knocking
on your door at home and asking if they can
look around.
I know, I know, They're ther for our protection
and thank god for our military and all, I'm a Viet Nam era vet myself. But....well. I don't
know. Maybe I should stop here.
Thanks for letting me vent, I probably had 1
more than I should have.
"I wish I was a fish"
-Mr Limpet

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 08:44:29 PM »
Suppose you refuse their request to board, what happens? Do you get to go directly to jail with the real bank robbers and real killers and real criminals? Could any one request they come back to the dock with you and then they can board vessel.Suppose your afraid of Pirates!!
Every body has rights ,what are boaters and fishermans rights? What to you think?

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-