Author Topic: Anyone Gone LEAD FREE??  (Read 2442 times)

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
Anyone Gone LEAD FREE??
« on: August 02, 2008, 01:56:35 AM »
Has anyone gone lead free in their fishing tackle, partly or completely??

I was reading a few articles about it and the lead is "pretty" bad for the environment, the fish and animals and obviously humans.  I noticed lead free tackle is significantly more expensive, which would be one reason it is not being used.  However, good or bad, I see a lot of fishing locations and governments making lead illegal, just like they did in gas and paints!

I have not gone lead free at all and I certainly contribute to the problem and have not helped it.  I get snagged and lose more lures and weights more than I fish  hhppy.  I am also interested in getting back into making my own jig heads, weights, etc...and I am not sure I want the lead anywhere near my kids, knowing how bad it is.  Anyone know if there is a Do It Yourself alternative to lead yet??  I GOOGLED it, but no luck.

I know Tungsten and Bismuth seem to be the popular replacement, but that is about all I know!

Thanks in advance.

TT^

Offline Diego Dangers.

• 172 Heavy!
Re: Anyone Gone LEAD FREE??
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 11:06:13 PM »
All my 1 oz sinkers are made out of steel, they are made by an australian company, can't remember the name off the top of my head, but they do sell them at Sports Authority, it is about a dollar two cheaper for the lb of steel than the lb of lead.

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 11:08:53 PM »
Thanks for replying...

I also see that they have Bismuth/Tin mixtue weights also...but I don't know what the price is??

Thanks

TT^

Offline captainbailey

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 01:29:50 AM »
Just picked up some lead-free split shots. right next to the typical lead variety. Good job marketing them because you get 10 lead free opposed to 25 lead for the same price. I figured I didn't need all 25 so might as well. Have yet to use them.

Other than environmental concerns, are there any advantages/ disadvantages to either one?
Z

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 03:04:43 AM »
Yeah, they are definitely a bit more expensive!!

I think, besides environmentally and from a health standpoint, the only other advantage is that some of the metals are denser and heavier making the weight smaller compared to lead.  I know this is true for Tungsten, which is considerably more expensive.

As for environmentally, lead is a serious problem.  Not only is it infecting fish, but birds and any aquatic animal, fish, etc...Ultimately it ends with humans.  I read an article of a human who had gotten lead poisoning from eating contaminated fish!

I am also concerned for my children.  I know that they would have to eat a weight to get lead poisoning, but my son always ends up grabbing the weights out of the tackle box and the thought of lead around him is a bit bothersome.  I don't mind taking educated risks for myself, but when it comes to my kids, I don't think I am willing to take any risk!

TT^

Offline captainbailey

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 09:35:30 AM »
As for the person who got lead I would believe that someone got sick by opening split-shots with their teeth and then thinking the fish made them sick the next day. But who knows 5hrug   
Z

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 10:46:29 AM »
im very well stocked
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 10:59:15 AM »
I'm glad you said stocked and not stacked... rofla rofla hhppy hhppy
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 02:41:24 PM »
lead is my middle name

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 03:10:44 PM »
lead free ,I am ready to pour again ,monday scrubby and I have to pour 2-400 lbs.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-