Author Topic: salmon river 9-9  (Read 3786 times)

Offline brijones1

salmon river 9-9
« on: September 09, 2008, 06:38:14 PM »
I just got back from the salmon river today,  I fished yesterday for the first time ever for salmon.  I fish for stealies all the time, but this was a first for me and the last.  What a joke, these fish don't bite and the way people fish for them is pathetic, glorified snagging.  I heard about people lifting, but thats the only way to snag them and not look illegal.  4ft gap between the weight and the hook, cast it out, swing it down and lift up.  Yeah right the fish were biting, all bullsh&t that thousands of people buy into or willingly know before they go up on a so called fishing trip. 

Stick to steelhead fishing, they actually feed in the river.  Leave the salmon to do their thing and die after spawning. My two cents  ;D
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: salmon river 9-9
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 06:41:53 PM »
.. We all know you snagged that sailFish. ;)

Offline brijones1

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 06:54:37 PM »
.. We all know you snagged that sailFish. ;)

Yeah, they fight pretty hard when you hook them in the tail   ;D  isn't that how its done
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 06:56:13 PM »
 t^
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline fishon42

• Super Hero Member
  • Salmon On
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 06:59:31 PM »
I love salmon fishing, first started doing it 2 years ago. At first when I did it, I always thought they would bite the eggsack or the fly I was using. I even went into fat nancys and asked what color sponge was doing good lately! Talk about pathetic, thats pathetic. Soon found out, that its basically a lifting technique, in other words its snagging. Illegal if its not in the mouth, or in the general area of the mouth. The fish are going to die once they reach the hatchery anyway, so why not go fishing for them and bring home some fillets. Ill be back up there october 3rd. Then again in november a few times for steelhead.
Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

Offline Sam3

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 07:10:45 PM »
I haven't fished the streams up there in years. 1991 I think was the last. Back then you could still use the weighted treble hook. Did it once and vowed I would never fish like that again.
I don't mind spending the extra money going out on a boat earlier in the season when they are actually biting on something.

I just recently hooked up with an old high school classmate of mine that has a charter business up there. Who knew?!!
I'll be up there more than once next year.

Offline fishon42

• Super Hero Member
  • Salmon On
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 07:18:17 PM »
Yeah I'd much rather have them bite. But either way I love the action, and the fight. I let half of them go anyway, big ones I'll get filleted or on the wall. Either way sadly the fish will die once up the river, which is unfortunate. My dad will be up in the lake tomorrow for the day for kings.  chrz.. Ill continue to fish salmon river, for salmon, steelhead, and browns. Anyway and whenever I could. :P
Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

Offline Capt -Jerry P

• Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
    • Fish Monger
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 09:00:17 PM »
Steelhead and brownies way better but will go for salmon 1 time a season,

But they are good for all the early steelies/browns that follow them up to eat the eggs

Esp out west, cant wait

no crowds eggsac and bobbers

Offline fishon42

• Super Hero Member
  • Salmon On
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 09:03:35 PM »
Steelhead and brownies way better but will go for salmon 1 time a season,

But they are good for all the early steelies/browns that follow them up to eat the eggs

Esp out west, cant wait

no crowds eggsac and bobbers

exactly.. eggsack and floats....i heard many good things about catfish creek in mexico, about 200 yards from the lake.. browns stacked on browns.. also heard VERY good about sandy creek in the town of hamlin, west of rochester... very good news about that place for nice browns up to 20 lbs..  t^

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 09:39:04 PM »
Sorry you didn't like your fishing trip?!?!  At least you were fishing and not working!!

TT^

Offline Capt -Jerry P

• Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
    • Fish Monger
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008, 10:12:53 AM »
yea egg sacs at the mouth of any creek from there to niagra will provide good action

Fresh Brown Eggs Best, 4lb test ,hold on

Will Be up There A bunch of times in oct-dec.

Dont have to feel bad for the salmon barely any spawn naturaly. if you go places with less pressure/ you can get them to snap... but they dont eat to well in the warfare zones.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-